Lost a few today *in a good way*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Neighbor had a new Jotul 450 insert installed recently. Saw a guy who was selling a large load for 125 today and tipped him off to it. It was a bit heavy, but it was a pretty good price, birch, maple, ash and oak. I talked to him about getting it, he jumped but said the other stuff he had would hiss the entire time, etc. I GAVE him 2 splits to have him try and see how it did for a round in the stove. Seemed pretty happy. First time I've ever given away wood and hope he enjoys it. He is a good guy, first time he has every burned wood. See what happens over the next day. I hope he is pretty happy with it.
Oh and the guy said all the rest between now and may will be 100 bucks. I hope it is good enough for him to burn, if not, what do you guys think I should do? I've always said if you are prepared, good for you, if not, well it sucks, but I really like this neighbor.
Well, again, what would you do?
Chad

If you're set with next year's supply, trade him some of it.

I've got about 25 cords of wood for the next few years on pallets already for both my house and parents (cut this summer). We go through about 10 cords a year total. I do have some leeway, but I hate to give away good stuff. You are right. Maybe if he tells me it burnt better, I'll offer load for a load, we'll see. Most of mine for the next few years is great oak (most white and solid with no bad centers). I may tell him to bring a load up and drop and I'll let him take a load (seem right?)
Chad

For every good neighbor I have, what's mine is his (or hers). Yes - trade him some dry stuff. Have him replace it with wet stuff, provided it will dry byy the time you need it.

My next door neighbor moved in after I built my house. He was the high school bully. He was a total ass. For whatever reason, we both grew up. He's not a bully, he's a nice guy now. I need something? He'll give it to me and I'd give anything to him. We drink a few every other weekend or so too now. In short, he's become a very good friend.

DWW68 said:
Do what you would want somebody to do for you if you were in that situation.

Sez it all. Rick

I'd probably trade him 125% wet wood for dry wood. You'll get 1/4 more wood back and he'll be happier than anything especially if he's already tried to find wood. If it was my good neighbor I would probably direct him to this site and then mentor him on the differences between wet and dry. Maybe go over to his house and help him out to get the most out of his stove. Sure it may take a whole 4 hours to check out his setup and help him learn how to burn. But he'll be eternally grateful once he starts really burning and keeping his family warm. Not only that, but you've built up a relationship with your neighbor who can help you process wood and keep an eye on your house when your gone. All for a lousy 4 hours of doing something that you enjoy... burning. Not only that, but if you don't trade him the wood then you may find your pile disappearing during the night :-O. Just let him know that the standard trade is 1 for 2 but you'll give him the deal of a lifetime just because he's a good neighbor. I tend to try to help out everyone unless they prove to be a dique or a user. Then they're on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.