Lost Efficiency; too many coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdkwi

Feb 9, 2009
Northern WI
This is my second year with a Woodmaster 5500. This year, it seems that there is a lot more unburnt fuel in the ash; lots of unburnt coals. I don't remember this from last year. Both front and rear fans appear to be working but there is always a pile of unburnt coals in the back. I don't have the ash auger setup. I just shovel. Anyone else have this problem, any advice.

gdkwi; northern Wisconsin

gdkwi said:
This is my second year with a Woodmaster 5500. This year, it seems that there is a lot more unburnt fuel in the ash; lots of unburnt coals. I don't remember this from last year. Both front and rear fans appear to be working but there is always a pile of unburnt coals in the back. I don't have the ash auger setup. I just shovel. Anyone else have this problem, any advice.

gdkwi; northern Wisconsin

Sorry dude, for im not sure where the welcome committee eats lunch at,,,but welcomes to you! I tried to find your answer through the Health com Quick Navigation Q&A;but no luck! I do recall in my readings, that there are those who contribute excessive coals to the,moisture content of the wood.I would venture to guess thats not the only reason, but possibly one of em.

Welcome to the forum gdkwi! Moisture can be a problem like ml has stated but is there also a possibility that you are seeing some draft restrictions? Sometimes higher moisture wood not only builds up coals but builds up creosote in the chimney. One of the first places you will see it is in the spark arrestor of the chimney cap. But don't be fooled thinking only moist wood will cause the creosote build up. You can have wood with ideal moisture and still have a tendency for creosto with high humidity air and a slow moving air mass. Some of the very cold weather we have had has been high in humidity. Even if you don't have the tarry creosote and have more of the carbon ash build up a half inch build up on a 6" pipe is a 16.6% decrease in available air channel. If you use a mechanical damper the potential for build up can increase too. I don't have a unit like you have but I used to heat my home with a wood furnace and heavy coal build up was the "it's time to clean your chimney" sign that came just before "smoke back up".

Status
Not open for further replies.