lots of smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stone

Dec 8, 2007
nova scotia CA
i have a buderus 02.40 wood/coal add on boiler, for 2 weeks it worked great a lil smoke(which i figured was due to a missing smoke screen) but all i did was open the door a crack and the smoke cleared then i could manage the fire. the other night i tried to add more coal and it was smokeing alot, unbareabe, so i figured it might of been a lil too much coal and not enough red coals, that i may be smothering it, so i opened the bottom door to try and burn it up and give it a cleaning, when i went to clean it there was alot of really thick black dust almost like tar all around the top heating grates so i thought that this might of been the problem that it was blocking the smoke from exiting, so i cleaned it good but today the same thing is happeneing when i open the loading door the smoke it unbareable to stand to load more coal, i can light the fire great, and burns well, with no smoke, but one i add coal to it after about 20 minutes of burning it starts to smoke, im only putting on 2 small shovels of coal at first, so i done think its an over loading problem, im thinking a draft issue, but it worked so well for 2 weeks that it has me puzzled. is there any suggestions or should i just call in a tech? thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.