Lots of wood to harvest alots for any one.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
Not sure if this can go here.

I have a wooded lot that needs to be cleared. About 40-50 trees.

As much as i like cutting down trees and doing all the work myself. it get boring and it's not 100% safe to be out their on my own.

Any one live in the rochester area in NY? I would be willing to meet up and split any wood with you 50/50 if u come out and cut/split with me.

That is a lot of work to do but I don't understand the boring part! Nothing boring about that at all for most folks. Safety is usually what you make it.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is a lot of work to do but I don't understand the boring part! Nothing boring about that at all for most folks. Safety is usually what you make it.

Boring was the wrong word. Lonely is better.

That's a nice offer. If I was a little closer, I'd bring the tractor and dump trailer over and have some fun in the woods with you.

Would love to get a call or message like that around here!!!

drozenski said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Boring was the wrong word. Lonely is better.

Many say I should not be out in the woods cutting alone....especially at my age and my physical condition. Still, as most know, I start cutting wood usually right after Thanksgiving; sometimes before, depending on how the deer hunting has gone. But I have to freely admit, I am really looking forward to getting out there alone and cutting wood. Simply put, I enjoy it.

I also must admit that even as much as I enjoy it, I enjoy it a little bit more when my wife is able to be there with me. The two of us are like one, so we still have the solitude and we both dearly love it. As an indication of how much we enjoy the solitude, when we owned a big motor home, we very rarely stayed in a campground. We simply found a spot to be by ourselves. We wintered in Arizona for 5 winters too. Where did we stay then? We simply found a spot out in the desert to set up camp and then went once per week to dump tanks, get water and groceries. It works for us.

I like cutting by myself sometimes . . . I find myself stopping when I break to gas up and grab a drink and I just sit there looking at the woods and listening to the sounds of nature around me . . . and once in a while I'll hear the sound of a passing car in the distance or see the contrails of a jet passing way up high . . . it's nice to be alone in the woods.

Other times I like working with my buddy . . . as we can problem solve things together . . . work together to get more work done, stop to share a meal, etc . . . sometimes it's nice to have a friend in the woods.

Dennis. Have you tried felling from a milk crate? I hear it's the "IN" thing these days.

Nope. Splitting only from the milk crate. Better to be on the feet when felling. On the other part when splitting.

I've cut wood with other people and I think an argument can be made that cutting alone is just as safe.

x2

Status
Not open for further replies.