Lots of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
It somewhat amazes me that there are folks so ignorant to not think these dead trees are a fire hazard. In an area well known for bad forest fires why would you want to leave kindling laying around? Yes, I also understand some folks just don't have a clue. They read and hear these so-called tree sitters and think all the trees are so precious..... I'd best stop here before I get carried away.

In the old days out west they'd burn off slash,deadfall & other debris fairly often,in smaller controlled burns.Instead of letting it build up the fuel supply on the forest floor like recent decades.Add several yrs of drought,a few lightning strikes and/or some careless idiot with a campfire or tossing a lit cigarette down & you have a major disaster.

Nothing more wasteful than a forest fire burning out of control.

Property destroyed, firefighters lives put at risk, precious water wasted, trees burned anyway.

Burn it under control in a stove.

No point in hugging a dead tree ;-)

Reminds me of the Spruce Budworm epidemic in the Northeast 30 years ago. They cut those trees before the worm killed the tree in order to have use of the pulp. Some questioned the intensity of the epdemic, and wether the industry used the worm as an excuse to clear cut most of Northern Maine. I drove through a major logging area during that time and can remember the stacks of spruce tree trunks along the main logging road. They were 25 feet tall and 100 feet deep for miles and miles.

Backwoods Savage said:
It somewhat amazes me that there are folks so ignorant to not think these dead trees are a fire hazard. In an area well known for bad forest fires why would you want to leave kindling laying around? Yes, I also understand some folks just don't have a clue. They read and hear these so-called tree sitters and think all the trees are so precious..... I'd best stop here before I get carried away.

Dennis, I think they've forgotten the lessons learned in your state a long time ago. One word: Peshtigo.

Kenster said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, I think they've forgotten the lessons learned in your state a long time ago. One word: Peshtigo.

Ken, you are close but Peshtigo is actually in Wisconsin, just a short distance from the MI line. Yes, that fire was awful but people do tend to forget those lessons.

True, Peshtigo is barely across the border. But a great deal of Michigan, even on the east side of the lake, burned that summer. Peshtigo was exponentially worse than the Chicago fire that happened the same night, but Chicago got all the press.

Now you know why I don't fret about firewood. The Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne area is where I work. Hauling it home over the Divide is a bigger pain than anything.
Edit:- I'm currently about 4 miles from where some of that footage was taken.

Beetle-kill, I spent a little time in the Dillon/Silverthorne area in late July. Beautiful country. I especially enjoyed visiting the "Dam Brewery" a couple of times.

Kenster said:
Beetle-kill, I spent a little time in the Dillon/Silverthorne area in late July. Beautiful country. I especially enjoyed visiting the "Dam Brewery" a couple of times.
Let me know next time you're up here, I'll buy you a beer.

I was recently camping at pokagen state park in indiana. The ash borer killed the ash trees and they havn't cleaned any of it up. They say they want the wood to be natural humas for the forest but it seems very dangerous to me. We had three dead ash near our tent that made you wonder if they would fall on you when sleeping.

Bettle, now we really know you live in a beautiful area.

Woodsmaster, those folks are crazy. Do they realize how long it will take for that wood to rot? Ash takes a long, long time to rot. I usually find a few logs that I've felled years ago and maybe even cut to lenght; probably had a full load or was hurting and had to quit and then forgot to go back to get it. I've picked up ash that I had cut 3 or 4 years previous and some had even sit right in water for a long time. It showed no sign of rot and burned like a charm.

As for the trees falling, it takes a long time for that too. I have several trees yet that have not had leaves on for many years. I'll fell a bunch of them this coming winter. So long as they are ash, that is some tough stuff and it would take many years before they fell over. But in a campground?!!!! Hard to believe they leave them stand.

I read that as we don't wanna spend the money to take care of these trees, & heaven forbid we let anybody use em for heat. Some lawyer may have a problem with that. A C

Backwoods Savage said:
As for the trees falling, it takes a long time for that too.

Most standing dead trees round here just fall over and then somehow end up in my woodpile.

Almost like magic......... ;-)

Kenster said:
True, Peshtigo is barely across the border. But a great deal of Michigan, even on the east side of the lake, burned that summer. Peshtigo was exponentially worse than the Chicago fire that happened the same night, but Chicago got all the press.

Kenster . . . are you a firefighter or retired firefighter? Most folks aren't aware of Peshtigo and how truly devastating it was . . . and like you said . . . Mrs. O'Leary's cow seemed to get all the attention.

Hey Jake, maybe he's been to Wisconsin? I agree, that was a terrible fire they had and I'm glad they won't let people forget it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.