Love my Blaze King Ultra BUT it's backPUFFING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have a Blaze king ultra, I have a 24 inch on top which goes into 2 45* elbows and into a 12 inch then into the thimble. I noticed tonight for the first time, I wanted to load the stove before going to sleep. There was wood still in. I opened the bypass and turned the thermostat to full open. Waited a few minutes and when I opened the door to add more splits i got a big puff of smoke out of the dooe as well as out of the top 12 inch section that connects to the thimble. It smokes for a less than a second then stops. I do not see any smoke coming out when the door is closed or when the cat in engaged. I am running double wall pipe. I have a 35 foot insulated 8 inch linear in an interior chimney. Any suggestions???

My guess is that just opening up the thermostat doesn't open the intake, just tells it to start that coil uncoiling. With no more intake air opening the damper didn't move the gases out very fast. So you had a firebox full of gases waiting in line to go through the cat or up the damper but you opened the door too fast before they got there and they ignited when the air hit them. Crack the door sloooowly.

When I read the title I thought "chimney", but it doesn't sound likely from your description! BB sounds like he's on it, as per ush.

By the way BB, I'm glad to see your "Burning Man" avatar back. It's a favorite, and seems to match your personality--when you're sober, anyway. (Reference to his farcical autobiography :p )

Before you open the door wide open, crack it open an inch or so for 15-20 seconds

NATE379 said:
Before you open the door wide open, crack it open an inch or so for 15-20 seconds
I concur.
If you turn the air all the way up past 3 it does open it..but it takes a few mins to get her going...it's not a big opening.

BrotherBart said:
My guess is that just opening up the thermostat doesn't open the intake, just tells it to start that coil uncoiling. With no more intake air opening the damper didn't move the gases out very fast. So you had a firebox full of gases waiting in line to go through the cat or up the damper but you opened the door too fast before they got there and they ignited when the air hit them. Crack the door sloooowly.

What BB said..

Ray

raybonz said:
What BB said...

Except the part about the tstat. Turning it up past 3 opens it up.

My wife complains about backpuffing when she is in throw a log on the fire mode. We both used to burn this way but the King works much better if you burn in full cycles especially if you are in 24/7 mode. If you burn in complete cycles and rake whats left front center every time, this should greatly reduce the backpuffing issue. Letting whats left get hot and burn down both controls the coal bed and makes for quick and painless reloads. Congrats on the stove, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

SolarAndWood said:
raybonz said:
What BB said...

My wife complains about backpuffing when she is in throw a log on the fire mode. We both used to burn this way but the King works much better if you burn in full cycles especially if you are in 24/7 mode. If you burn in complete cycles and rake whats left front center every time, this should greatly reduce the backpuffing issue. Letting whats left get hot and burn down both controls the coal bed and makes for quick and painless reloads. Congrats on the stove, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

So backpuffing is an issue, even with an optimal 8" chimney setup? I suppose that makes sense, considering how cool the exhaust gasses are on a steady-state long burn.

RenovationGeorge said:
SolarAndWood said:
raybonz said:
What BB said...

So backpuffing is an issue, even with an optimal 8" chimney setup? I suppose that makes sense, considering how cool the exhaust gasses are.
After opening the bypass crack the door open slowly allowing the wood to ignite then you can open the door.. Practice will make perfect over time...

Ray

letting it do its full cycle is the easiest way. if im raking the coals or left over wood to the front i open it up then crack the door for a sec and dont open the door completley and rake it forward so smoke doesnt pour in.

How do you guys schedule your re loading? I try to figure 12 hrs before putting more wood in, but I would like to put more wood in before falling asleep these way there is plenty of food to keep the heat going>

let the stove burn down then load it up.

Well I was doing it about once every 12yrs, but I am finding if I pack the stove full I just have to do it every 24hrs instead.

kwikrp said:
How do you guys schedule your re loading? I try to figure 12 hrs before putting more wood in, but I would like to put more wood in before falling asleep these way there is plenty of food to keep the heat going>

NATE379 said:
Well I was doing it about once every 12yrs, but I am finding if I pack the stove full I just have to do it every 24hrs instead.

:coolsmile:

Hey Nate,

Would you mind putting your stove in your sig?

I can attest that the memory is the second thing to go. ;)

kwikrp said:
I have a Blaze king ultra, I have a 24 inch on top which goes into 2 45* elbows and into a 12 inch then into the thimble. I noticed tonight for the first time, I wanted to load the stove before going to sleep. There was wood still in. I opened the bypass and turned the thermostat to full open. Waited a few minutes and when I opened the door to add more splits i got a big puff of smoke out of the dooe as well as out of the top 12 inch section that connects to the thimble. It smokes for a less than a second then stops. I do not see any smoke coming out when the door is closed or when the cat in engaged. I am running double wall pipe. I have a 35 foot insulated 8 inch linear in an interior chimney. Any suggestions???

Clean. Your. Chimney.

Blaze King.
RenovationGeorge said:
NATE379 said:

:coolsmile:

Hey Nate,

Would you mind putting your stove in your sig?

I can attest that the memory is the second thing to go. ;)

Bigg_Redd said:
kwikrp said:

Clean. Your. Chimney.
I dontthink he needs to clean the chimney. This happens because u still have wood in there and plenty of smoke that the cat ignites it I believe. Ya gotta becarefull opening it up like that. As far as loading goes ya just gotta learn ti time it right. And try ti let everything burn down as much as possible.

I have almost the same issue, or at least use to have the same issue. I learned to turn my thermostat on high for about 10 minutes with the by pass handle open. I watched the flue stack temperature increase as the chimney got hotter, the draft increased.

Then I do as others here suggested, I just crack the door for a minute, get my wood load ready, , open the door load the wood and close the door. It really helped when I got the flue nice and hot.

Also one other thought....my spark arrestor screen was plugged all the time. It must have fallen out all on it's own because now it's no there to get plugged any longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.