Love the smell of freshly split and stacked cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
There is another row same size just behind this one...all from one cherry tree...just under 3 ft diameter...prob 60-65 ft tall. I still have the bottom 20 ft left to buck/split/stack!!!

Attachments

• 2011-09-15 18.03.02-1.jpg
    2011-09-15 18.03.02-1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 333
Nice...hate to see a big one like that go down but sure like the BTUs. I thought I had a good score the other day but turned out the middle of the tree was hollow. I took it but didnt get as much wood out of it as I first thought.

RegencyR14 said:
all from one cherry tree...just under 3 ft diameter...prob 60-65 ft tall.
Wow, that's a monster. The biggest one I've cut so far was about 19" dbh.

A bunch of great wood from one tree. A co-worker used cherry to smoke salmon and it was awesome. Lotsa BTU's you got there.

I've got 1.3 cords of it stacked. The smell is fading a little now, but hopefully will last a while longer. Every time we have an outside fire, I can't resist going to the stack to get a few splits; Smells as nice burning as it does drying. :coolsmile:

Unfortunately I don't have much cherry in this area that I can cut. When I help my FIL in Pa split his wood he always has a load or two of cherry and it does smell great. That is a great looking stack!

the stack in the photo is just under 2 cords by my calculation. so that was a 4+ cord tree! a score!

i burn a fair bit of cherry. lots of cut-offs from the logging yard and few in the woods nearby. it burns clean and hot and seasons quickly and yes...the smell...fresh or burning...is amazing

Woah.... That's a huge Black Cherry.Biggest one I milled around here was a 20" 12' trunk one in yard of parent's friends in fall '98.Storm damage earlier that year.One of my favs for grilling & smoking too.

RegencyR14 said:
This stack is bout 24 ft long, 5 1/2 ft tall. I'm trying to get pic of the cherry tree up but having trouble resizing pic.

If you look up the thread titled "My Wood Shed" I just posted for him how to shrink the pictures using Paint (or MSPaint). It is really quite simple.

That was a big cherry! We just have some small ones here but would not hesitate to cut a big one line that.

I just went and measured the cherry tree...i was guessing it was a little under 3.... It measured 28-30 in. in diameter. The stacked wood behind the wood in the pic is from a 20-24 in diameter cherry that was growing out of the same trunk as the 28-30 in diameter one. The smaller one fell prob a year ago and took about 1/3 of the trunk with it. I took some pics I'll post in the wood shed

Status
Not open for further replies.