Low budget storage idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
In my search for a 500 gallon tank I found a source for 120 gal tanks, smaller stand up units. THey weigh about 300 lbs each. I can get them for .07 a pound or about $21 each, 5 would be just over $100. I could lay them on their side stacked on top of each other feeding them in series. Insulate the entire group of them together. It would require more welding as each tank would need a fitting welded in it.

This would be a total of 600 gallons, its more of a stab in the dark for the amount of storage needed but I want to be able to run the wood boiler full out and avoid smoldering fires while its idling, its not a gassefier and dont want excessive creosote buildup in the chimney. We have always run our wood stove flue temp around 400-500 deg and creosote hasnt been a problem.

Thoughts??

~ Phil

Seems like alot of fabrication for 600 gal of storage, and time is money. You will be the deciding factor, but don't forget to include the time welding and piping this. A 500 gal propane tank or other big steel tank may be more expensive to purchase, but you will spend a considerable less amount of time to engineer and build the storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.