Low Thud Sound Coming From Stove (pellet stuck?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
On several occasions I have heard a low thud (only way I can describe it) coming from my stove. I'm guessing it is a pellet stuck in the auger and my stove is just doing it's job chewing it up and spitting it out. Anyone else noticed or heard this?

sydney1963 said:
On several occasions I have heard a low thud (only way I can describe it) coming from my stove. I'm guessing it is a pellet stuck in the auger and my stove is just doing it's job chewing it up and spitting it out. Anyone else noticed or heard this?

Invite us over and we'll be glad to listen.... :lol:

XXV owner and although I haven't heard a low thud, I regularly hear a "pop" type noise as I assume the same thing... Auger snapping it in two as it's trying to feed the stove.

Its the auger snapping a pellet or a turkey bone..............

If I invited you all over I would have to provide snacks, beer, entertainment. How many on this forum? Expensive. Nah, going to assume it's what I think it is and with Murphy's law, it wouldn't happen when you were here anyway. Would love to party with ya but.......

BadDad320 said:
Its the auger snapping a pellet or a turkey bone..............

LMAO!

Mine pops and bangs all the time if I use short pellets. I think the pellets get caught in the hopper slide and in the auger causing the stove to pop and bang. In my experience the longer the pellets I have, the quieter the stove is.

Check the pc of rope gasket material under the top auger motor gearbox, The auger motor and gearbox move when under load from a stuck pellet and when the pellet is munched the auger/gearbox come back down on the metal support.
If the rope material is moved or was not taped on correctly the metal gear box will be resting on the metal support and will cause a "thud" Mine was doing this I replaced the rope material with a thicker pc with more cushion.

Thanks pelletizer! I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.