lowering PV install cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
talking about flush mount solar reminded me....

I got to meet a tech guy from Dow's new solar division recently. Their strategy is that PV cost/W is rapidly becoming irrelevant, and installation cost will be the driver in the future.

Enter the solar shingle: http://www.dowsolar.com/

The cool thing is that they did a demo where they contracted to put a new roof on some test houses with local roofers, gave the roofers the solar shingle product and something like a 15 minute training video, and then had the newb roofers install it. The shingles even have instructions embossed on the back in spanish, russian and polish. The shingles have a little edge-edge connector, so the current runs along the rows, and you pick it off the ends.

You still have an electrician come and wire the inverter and the line to the roof array.

No water or elec problems on the test houses after a couple seasons--they go on sale in volume next year I hear.

Getting PV could be as easy as picking that kind of shingle the next time you re-roof, at an extra $1/W for the shingle, and no extra install cost for the array! Currently, installers often tell folks getting PV to reroof first, so that they won't have a new array on a roof needing new shingles. This would just cut out the array installer part. OR make it more DIY-able.

Oh yeah, you can walk on them. They're flexible.

And the 'module costs' are low b/c there is no glass front panel.

And they are hail rated, like a shingle.

One neg: they are based on CIGS PV (for now) but DOW is talking to CdTe manufacturers, eff is low teens I think.

I am all for this direction. The cheaper and more durable the better.

Fabral has them for their metal roofing systems as well, including my bottom of the line exposed fastner roof.

I remember when these things first came out. They are an excellent idea. Now if they could get green roofs on flat public roofs we could help fix some the of the water runoff and heat issues that cities and towns face.

Matt

What about the inverter? How are they wired?

I agree install is now the driving force on these things. On my commercial scale standing seam roof install, my panels + inverters are basically $1.75/watt which is almost an acceptable return. However, install/labor/profit/wiring is another $1.50/watt, and standing seam is the cheapest install there is.

Even if panels + inverters hit $1.00/watt, with $1.50/watt install it's still not at a return many people are willing to accept. Cheaper installation methods must be found if the current technology is to become commercially viable.

Don't remember the delivery voltage (prob depends on the layout), but it should work with a 'standard' grid-tie tracking inverter.

My inverters are running around $.40/watt; I suspect for small system like these would be that the numbers would be higher. Just wandering what a total installed cost would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.