Lowe's $187 a ton what to choose??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

countk

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Cape Ann, MA
So many on this site probably know about most Lowe's now at $187 ton. but what would you prefer between Green Team, Stove Chow, Clean Energy and Fireside Ultra. I know, try a few bags first, but I'm not sure I want to try all these brands right now, especially since Lowe's could go up tomorrow.

I will probably try a couple bags of two brands. I know Jay tested Green Team and they tested surprisingly well. Some like the Stove Chow. What brands do you all think are best?

I saw the same $187 deal at Lowes in Woburn last night and jumped on it. I had a Lowes loyality coupon for 10% off, so my out-the-door price was $168.30

The store manager let me split the ton (Green Team and Stove Chow) as long as I agreed to build the mixed pallet, shrink wrap my pallet, and consolidate the two remaining half pallets into the store floor displays. Here's the kicker, he also gave me twelve 40lb. ripped bags of Stove Chow pellets (rebagged in Lowes bags) for doing nothing more than sweeping the area and picking-up the loose pellets on the ground after I consolidated everything. I told him I was genuinely appreciative and to call me if he needed the floor swept again. :)

you guys are lucky as heck because down here in the 'Sunny South' where it was 15 last night, Lowes thinks a lot of their Greenway pellets at $5.97 a bag and no discount for buying a ton! Tractor Supply wants 287 a ton for the same pellets. Crazy.

tjnamtiw said:
you guys are lucky as heck because down here in the 'Sunny South' where it was 15 last night, Lowes thinks a lot of their Greenway pellets at $5.97 a bag and no discount for buying a ton! Tractor Supply wants 287 a ton for the same pellets. Crazy.

I feel for you man. My brother lives in Smyrna, GA and he's constantly complaining about the high cost of wood pellets and the lack of selection. Just not enough critical mass (ie. people owning wood pellet stoves) which creates demand resulting in better prices and more competition amongst brands. What you folks need is more snow to help drive pellet stove sales and bring the costs inline with the frigid northeast. :p

Glosta said:
I saw the same $187 deal at Lowes in Woburn last night and jumped on it. I had a Lowes loyality coupon for 10% off, so my out-the-door price was $168.30

The store manager let me split the ton (Green Team and Stove Chow) as long as I agreed to build the mixed pallet, shrink wrap my pallet, and consolidate the two remaining half pallets into the store floor displays. Here's the kicker, he also gave me twelve 40lb. ripped bags of Stove Chow pellets (rebagged in Lowes bags) for doing nothing more than sweeping the area and picking-up the loose pellets on the ground after I consolidated everything. I told him I was genuinely appreciative and to call me if he needed the floor swept again. :)

Nice! I have been in the Danvers Lowes before and they sell ripped bags for 1/2 price, but I have never scored them for free. In fact that's where I was today, but they only have Fireside and Maine's Choice. I was told Saugus has many brand available and I might very likely do something similar to what you did. Hard to beat $168

When it comes to these big box home centers, the more "work" required for a customer request.... the less likely the speciality request will be honored. There's no doubt in my mind, if I had asked a Lowe's employee if they could split a ton of pellets, the answer would have been, "Sorry, we don't do that or Sorry, you have to buy a full pallet of one brand" Anytime you take "work or labor" out of the equasation, generally speaking, you will get the response you're looking for. Just tell them you're willing to break down and consolidate the pallets and chances are good they'll let you do it.

Skip the Fireside Ultras

Glosta said:

I'm extremely surprised about this entire situation, the manager is laying himself and the company wide open to MAJOR liability claims if you manage to injure yourself while you're doing this, Asfar as what the NLRB would say, even if the employees are not union, is another whole bag o' snakes.

Glosta said:
tjnamtiw said:

I feel for you man. My brother lives in Smyrna, GA and he's constantly complaining about the high cost of wood pellets and the lack of selection. Just not enough critical mass (ie. people owning wood pellet stoves) which creates demand resulting in better prices and more competition amongst brands. What you folks need is more snow to help drive pellet stove sales and bring the costs inline with the frigid northeast. :p

Ha ha ha. Last year we had a friggin blizzard and weeks of temps below freezing. Crazy weather here. It's nuts to have pellets cost that much when Georgia is full of pine forests being harvested to make pellets to ship to Europe (Fram) and others being shipped right past my door going up to you guys to be sold for $100 a ton LESS than what I have to pay. Supply and demand......... Oh well.

SXIPro said:
Skip the Fireside Ultras

X2 They were dirty last season. I have heard there a bit better this season, But haven't confirmed it.

I would have prefered the greene teams But these Stow Chows aren't doing too bad for me. 9ºF with the wind chill right now and We are toasting in here! :) Clean Energy had good heat also, Just a bit more ash but was pretty light and fluffy.

tjnamtiw said:
Can You get Lowes to price match TS and beat by 10%. I'm gonna try that this week or next since I have a reciept from TS showing the price.

Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:
Can You get Lowes to price match TS and beat by 10%. I'm gonna try that this week or next since I have a reciept from TS showing the price.

There was only one Lowes that I found that even had pellets and I talked to the store manager and he basically said 'take it or leave it'. I was trying Lowes because I can get the 10% Veteran's discount but I just can't bring myself to pay $100 more for something I know the SAME COMPANY is selling elsewhere for less. I see Lowes trucks running North AND South.

tjnamtiw said:
Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:

There was only one Lowes that I found that even had pellets and I talked to the store manager and he basically said 'take it or leave it'. I was trying Lowes because I can get the 10% Veteran's discount but I just can't bring myself to pay $100 more for something I know the SAME COMPANY is selling elsewhere for less. I see Lowes trucks running North AND South.
Take your receipt from TS or a pic of the display showing the prices(5.49/bag or 5.09/bag by the ton)and show them this from Lowes' wesite
We guarantee our everyday competitive prices. If you find a verifiable lower everyday or advertised price on an identical stock item at any local retail competitor that has the item in stock, we'll beat their price by 10% when you buy from us. Just bring us the competitor's current ad or we'll call to verify the item's price that you have found. Cash (charge card) and carry purchases only. Competitor's closeout, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation and damaged items are excluded from this offer. On percent-off sales, Lowe's will match the competitor's percent-off offer. Limited to reasonable quantities for homeowner and one-house order quantities for cash and carry contractors. Current in-store price, if lower, overrides Lowe's advertised price. Price guarantee honored at all Lowe's retail locations. Labor charges for product installation are excluded from our price guarantee offer in our stores with an Installed Sales Prog

Was in Lowes Sunday saw the low pricing, they had clean energy (looks like there own brand) did not want to chance it. Was walking out and found 10 bags of Sumersets grabbed them taking a chance. Dumped them in today.....WOW huge almost white flame !!!! The grene teams burn a dark yellow and been leaving alot of grainular black ash. These almost no ash at all. I hope they get more of these in!!!

Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:
Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:

Take your receipt from TS or a pic of the display showing the prices(5.49/bag or 5.09/bag by the ton)and show them this from Lowes' wesite
We guarantee our everyday competitive prices. If you find a verifiable lower everyday or advertised price on an identical stock item at any local retail competitor that has the item in stock, we'll beat their price by 10% when you buy from us. Just bring us the competitor's current ad or we'll call to verify the item's price that you have found. Cash (charge card) and carry purchases only. Competitor's closeout, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation and damaged items are excluded from this offer. On percent-off sales, Lowe's will match the competitor's percent-off offer. Limited to reasonable quantities for homeowner and one-house order quantities for cash and carry contractors. Current in-store price, if lower, overrides Lowe's advertised price. Price guarantee honored at all Lowe's retail locations. Labor charges for product installation are excluded from our price guarantee offer in our stores with an Installed Sales Prog

Some have tried that. The use the bold highlited to get out of it. It has to be the Identicle brand. But you could get lucky.

Our local Lowes and HD are very close. They both have pellets stacked up and they aren't moving as fast as they thought. So they keep dropping the price until they start moving. But In New England there are lots of burners here. There ar also lots of places to purchase pellets. Almost a bloody war going on. Bigboxes have the best deals with the lowest prices. But they will soon be switching to other seasonal items. I doubt you will see many pellets left after March hits. Moved out for the lawn mowers and such!

Hello

Well our Lowes in Salem NH just put their pellets on sale!!! Of course sending an email to their corporate office and showing the price of all the other stores in town and how they had the highest price might have helped. :) Their email address is on their web site. :)

I guess it was either lower their price or change their name from Lowes to Highes!! ROFL

Attachments

• LowesMaineChoiceSaleSC.jpg
    LowesMaineChoiceSaleSC.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 616
One of my sons works at Lowes in Epping NH. I think I'll swing by there tomorrow or Thursday and pick up a bag or two of whatever they have (Except the Firesides...already know about them) He told me they had the Green Team but didn't know what else....I'll report back

Chan

One of my sons works at Lowes in Epping NH. I think I'll swing by there tomorrow or Thursday and pick up a bag or two of whatever they have (Except the Firesides...already know about them) He told me they had the Green Team but didn't know what else....I'll report back

Chan

countk said:
So many on this site probably know about most Lowe's now at $187 ton. but what would you prefer between Green Team, Stove Chow, Clean Energy and Fireside Ultra. I know, try a few bags first, but I'm not sure I want to try all these brands right now, especially since Lowe's could go up tomorrow.

I will probably try a couple bags of two brands. I know Jay tested Green Team and they tested surprisingly well. Some like the Stove Chow. What brands do you all think are best?

IMO, test the Greene Team & Stove Chow.

j-takeman said:
Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:
Hemidoc said:
tjnamtiw said:

Some have tried that. The use the bold highlited to get out of it. It has to be the Identicle brand. But you could get lucky.

Our local Lowes and HD are very close. They both have pellets stacked up and they aren't moving as fast as they thought. So they keep dropping the price until they start moving. But In New England there are lots of burners here. There ar also lots of places to purchase pellets. Almost a bloody war going on. Bigboxes have the best deals with the lowest prices. But they will soon be switching to other seasonal items. I doubt you will see many pellets left after March hits. Moved out for the lawn mowers and such!

TS and Blowes here both only carry Greenway's so it would be the identical item.

Don2222 said:
Hello

Well our Lowes in Salem NH just put their pellets on sale!!! Of course sending an email to their corporate office and showing the price of all the other stores in town and how they had the highest price might have helped. :) Their email address is on their web site. :)

I guess it was either lower their price or change their name from Lowes to Highes!! ROFL

It's just not right to snub we Southerners.

I have burned Greene Teams for the last two years and have been extremely pleased with them. I am still burning some that I bought almost two years ago. You cant go wrong at that price but as always, I would test burn several bags first.

Status
Not open for further replies.