New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Lowes in concord $199 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of funny that the ice is melting on the cusp of the coldest days of winter so far. Noticed a lot of private sellers are drifting down to the same price point but some are still delusional.

Concord, NH or Concord, MA?

Lowes in concord $199 ton

Inferno Gold and Maine's Best and some other pellet at that price when I stopped by today. I picked up 4 bags of the Inferno's to try out. Green Team's are still at higher price. HD, 2 miles away is sticking to their $5.18 for FSU's.

Lowes in Bedford, NH $3.99/bag various brands. I bought Inferno Gold from there last fall and I like them alot. Since that time Lowes policy has changed and they said they won't guarantee which brand they'll deliver.

Reactions: bogieb
Lowes in Bedford, NH $3.99/bag various brands. I bought Inferno Gold from there last fall and I like them alot. Since that time Lowes policy has changed and they said they won't guarantee which brand they'll deliver.
Good to know - I also bought from that store last fall and they let me pick what was delivered (Pres-to's). But, I do work real close so can go see what is in stock and pick up 10-25 bags if I like what I see.

was at the concord store this morning . They had a sign that said 199 ton so they allowed me to get 2 tons of the green team because the signs did not say green team excluded . Also free delivery of u buy 2 tons

Reactions: bogieb
They must have changed signs - they had sku #'s of what was which price.

Reactions: Peterfield
Lowes started to reduce prices about one week ago, the employee in the dept. told me.
I checked some local Lowe's yesterday and today:
Greenland, NH Maine's Choice $199/ton
Green Team $299/ton
Epping, NH Maine's Choice $199/ton
Nature's Own $199/ton
Green Team $299/ton
The brands in stock vary by store. Neither of the two stores above have
Green Supreme in-stock.

Lowes in Bedford is $199 / ton with free delivery if you buy 2 or more. I bought 4 tons of Inferno Gold, with free shipping, 5% off for paying with my Lowes credit card the cost is $756.20 delivered. I'm good at least until winter 2017-2018. I've been using the Inferno Gold (100% softwood) and like them a lot. This brand was the premium brand at Home Depot last fall going for $299 / ton.

Lowes in Bedford is $199 / ton with free delivery if you buy 2 or more. I bought 4 tons of Inferno Gold, with free shipping, 5% off for paying with my Lowes credit card the cost is $756.20 delivered. I'm good at least until winter 2017-2018. I've been using the Inferno Gold (100% softwood) and like them a lot. This brand was the premium brand at Home Depot last fall going for $299 / ton.
I thought inferno gold was a blend ?

The bag says softwood blend. I take that to mean a blend of softwood species.
I believe it is a softwood/hardwood blend. Regardless, the 4 test bags I ran earlier this month did pretty well. I got 2 tons delivered last week of the Inferno's. Seriously thinking about getting another 2 tons delivered. fortunately I don't live in a ritzy neighborhood so don't think anyone will complain about the stacks of pellets out by the shed (which is by the road) :)

Have u burned them yet ? If so thoughts ?
I burned 3 tons of them last winter. Definitely not 100% softwood. A decent pellet, but there are better out there available at the BB stores.

Reactions: dlavigne7324
Softwood blend means a blend of softwood/hardwood and usually of more than 50% softwood. Other forums have reported that
Inferno Gold to be rebaged Currans blend.
If "softwood blend" means as you say softwood/hardwood blend with 50+% softwood, what does softwood/hardwood blend mean? I'll stick with my understanding. [/QUOTE]ood and usually of more than 50% softwood.[/QUOTE]

Softwood blend means a blend of softwood/hardwood and usually of more than 50% softwood. Other forums have reported that
Inferno Gold to be rebaged Currans blend.

If they are Currans, they certainly are suing a different process/blend or something. I used Curran's for a couple of years. The first year they were good. Last year, not so much. Currans were longish pellets that varied in length. The Inferno's (at least this year's - the only one's I've bought), are a nice small, consistently-sized pellet. they also smell different.

Curran's are made in NY, Inferno's in RI.

I called a few Lowe's stores today in Southern NH. The free shipping on 2+ tons had ended a few days ago.
It seems that most stoves have Green Team and Maine's Choice remaining, by the ton. It looks like the excess
inventory has been sold down.

If "softwood blend" means as you say softwood/hardwood blend with 50+% softwood, what does softwood/hardwood blend mean? I'll stick with my understanding.
ood and usually of more than 50% softwood.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Hi Rick,
Blend can mean softwood as low as 10% eg. New England Pellet is only 10% softwood, but NEWP calls it's
product a blend. In theory, a blend could be from 1% to 99% softwood. Manufacturers like to use the word
softwood in describing their product. What I have seen is that when the percentage of softwood exceeds
50% then it is called a softwood blend, for example the Energex blend from the Quebec plant is 60% softwood.
(= Fireside Ultra = Nature's Own)
http://www.energex.com/products.php
Premium Softwood Blend
60/40 Softwood Blended Pellets

The Inferno Gold bags contains terms which can be interpreted various ways (exaggerated marketing).
For example the bag states
Ultra Premium. To some people that term means <0.5% ash (Super premium). But the Inferno Gold
is a premium <1% ash. Although the Inferno Gold bags states Superior Softwood Blend, numerous people
on this and other forums have presented evidence that Inferno Gold is bagged by Curran (North American) Blend
of 30% softwood/70% hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.