Lowes is now selling rock wool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I was picking up some spray foam this morning and noticed that that had "stone wool" batts right next to their blown cellulose.

Hope this helps somebody.

Matt

Thanx Limestone,,,was just gonna order some rock wool online,,,,will check out my local Lowes first,,,saves on the shipping.

I bought Roxul at Lowes in Delaware a couple of weeks ago.

what in the *&^&^% is rock wool used for?? Maybe put an extra sharp bevel on a fillet knife??? Or was that from a fishing site I was on?

eyefish2 said:
what in the *&^&^% is rock wool used for?? Maybe put an extra sharp bevel on a fillet knife??? Or was that from a fishing site I was on?

Rock wool can be used as an insulate above block off plates, in chimneys, etc. It is a Canadian made product that is (by Canadian building code) an official fire barrier since it is made of: rocks!

Off of their website "Roxul insulation is non-combustible and withstands up to 1177°C (2150°F). It can act as a fire barrier. Combustible insulation, on the other hand, can fuel the fire and cause it to spread." I saw a home show that left a propane blow torch attempting to burn Roxul all weekend without any success.

It is sold in bags of various thickness (like fiberglass insulation).

2 years ago I installed some Roxul ComfortBAtt R14 in my basement walls on top of my spray foam. It is MUCH easier to handle than fiberglass insulation. The best way to cut it is with a serrated knife, just like you would use to cut bread. Works like a charm!!!

http://www.roxul.com/residential/products/roxul+comfortbattâ„¢

Swedishchef said:
eyefish2 said:

Rock wool can be used as an insulate above block off plates, in chimneys, etc. It is a Canadian made product that is (by Canadian building code) an official fire barrier since it is made of: rocks!

Off of their website "Roxul insulation is non-combustible and withstands up to 1177°C (2150°F). It can act as a fire barrier. Combustible insulation, on the other hand, can fuel the fire and cause it to spread." I saw a home show that left a propane blow torch attempting to burn Roxul all weekend without any success.

It is sold in bags of various thickness (like fiberglass insulation).

2 years ago I installed some Roxul ComfortBAtt R14 in my basement walls on top of my spray foam. It is MUCH easier to handle than fiberglass insulation. The best way to cut it is with a serrated knife, just like you would use to cut bread. Works like a charm!!!

http://www.roxul.com/residential/products/roxul+comfortbattâ„¢

Hmm, so you're saying one could put this right up to the chimney or only that they could put this right up to the insulation shields? I'd like to get the tightest seal possible while passing through levels but I thought that I'd have to live with the little area around the chimney and between the two insulation shields I have here? Thanks.

Do they have the loose stuff or the sheets? I bought the 2" sheet for my block-off plate from www.mcmaster.com. The shipping was as much as the sheet.

Semi-Rigid Mineral Wool Insulation

With Wire Mesh
Temp. Range: Mineral wool, 0° to 1200° F; Wire mesh, 0° to 392° F
Heat Flow Rate (K-factor): 0.23 Btu/hr. x in./sq. ft. @ 75° F
Density: 8 lbs./cu. ft.
Color: Green
Withstands higher temperature than fiberglass. Use indoors or out with metal jacketing. Plain sheets can be cut with a knife. Meets ASTM E84 for flame and smoke. Wire mesh reinforced sheets withstand extreme shock and vibration. Cut with wire shears.

not sure if this is the same stuff, but i have it insulating my attic (and fiberglass) ugh, what a disgusting product it is. Fiberglass is bad... but rockwool is worse. Gloves, safety goggles, and a p100 respirator are needed to go into the attic. Otherwise i itch and couch for a few days.

maybe its just me.

maverick06 said:
not sure if this is the same stuff, but i have it insulating my attic (and fiberglass) ugh, what a disgusting product it is. Fiberglass is bad... but rockwool is worse. Gloves, safety goggles, and a p100 respirator are needed to go into the attic. Otherwise i itch and couch for a few days.

maybe its just me.

Maverick,

I don't think you have it....I don't find it itches one bit. As a matter of fact, I have a bag of it open in my basement right now and have no troubles. It's more rigid than fiberglass. Hence why it's good to use a serrated knife to cut it!

A

The Roxul I bought was pretty fragile to handle. Where fiberglass insulation holds itself together, Roxul falls apart. If you lay a batt in the middle over your arm and let it fold over it will break in two pieces by itself. Definitely heavier than fiberglass. When stuffing Roxul into spaces, it falls apart into pieces where fiberglass is more like stuffing cotton.

I read part of the bag and remember it saying it can be a minor/temporary irritant to eyes/lungs/ etc. I don't remember seeing anything about a respirator. If it was super harmful I'm sure it would say something. I'd probably at least wear a dust mask though.

Matt

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Not cheap at Lowe's - ~ $40 per batt.

Actually you get a package of 12 batts (3-1/2" x 47") for $40

That's $3.33 per batt.

mhrischuk: what kind of roxul were you using? I they make several types. The one I have is the Comfortbatt. And it is not fragile at all. You saw through it with a serated knife like it was a loaf of bread. I would stand it up no problem between my studs. As per directions, compress one edge, put it in between the studs and let it expand. As simple as that. Mine did not fall apart whatsoever. Yes, it is heavier than fiberglass though: it's made of rocks!

I installed it with and without a mask. Entire exterior perimeter of the basement had Roxul added between the studs on top of spray foam. Without a dust mask, after about 30 minutes I would get an itchy throat IF I tore the roxul and not cut it with the knife. The knife is essential. Tearing any kind of bound fibers will release small amounts of fiber into the air. Cutting through them won't.

I was lucky to get my bags of batts for $36 tax inc. :)

Andrew

This is the type I used and yes it will break in half if supported only in the middle.

0028.jpg

In this picture you can see some of it is damaged and coming apart.
0027.jpg

HEh. That's the same stuff I am using. I just went to my open bag of it, picked up a piece and balanced it on my forearm. It does want to break due to the weight but it didn't break in half. You can hear the fibers pulling apart in the middle when it bounces.

I guess it's more fragile than I thought. But since I always stood them up between studs, I never noticed that they could tear in half.

Andrew

I know one thing, you can't handle this stuff like regular fiberglass insulation. If you grab an end to pick up the batt you rip it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.