Ludell splitter recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I was at Fleet Farm the other day and notice that Ludell is offering a lightweight logsplitter that looks like a spin-off of the Fiskars.

Does anyone use one of these? I have a Ludell 8# maul and am pleased with it. But with all the raves about Fiskars I'm wondering if a better tool would make those tough rounds easier.

I'm currently working on a load that has some tough rounds. Big knots, and still wet. Some soak up several blows before finally coming apart.

Does having the right tool make a tough log easy? Or are tough logs just tough to split no matter what tool you use? (not including hydraulic or 'lectric splitters)

Not sure what mine is from fleet but does it have a yellow handle?

I have the ludell axe and used it this past year. It's been working great for me - lighter then the maul. I've never used a Fiskar - judging by their following on here, I would guess the fiskar is far superior.

I’ve never used a Fiskar - judging by their following on here, I would guess the fiskar is far superior.

Well, I know there are a lot of Fiskar fans here, however I have not seen any real comparison between the Fiskar and the Ludell. It could be one of those Ford-Chevy things, where you get a whole community of fans concentrated in one spot.

I can say with experience that the Ludell is superior to Collins at least as far as normal splitting mauls go. Collins has a very blunt blade. Ludell has a "hollow ground" profile that affords better penetration befor the wide part encounters wood.

I have an 8lb maul with a similar shaped head to the 8lb ludell maul and its my favorite maul

I also have a fiskars super splitter and its good, but if you have big knotty blocks - I don't think that going to a lighter maul is going to make it easier.

Some wood is just hard to split.

Its my opinion that the only reason to switch to a fiskars super splitter or similar type splitting axe/maul thing, is if you are having a hard time with the weight of an 8lb maul. If you don't mind the weight - I think you are just as well off.

oh yeah, and I also have an 8 pound collins maul and that thing sucks - way too blunt - might as well use a sledge hammer.

so my vote is to stick with what you have. especially - if your current ludell 8lb maul has a wood handle I would be even more inclined to NOT switch. I've done a lot of work with hand tools (axes, mauls, sledges, and shovels), and its been my experience that fiberglass handled tools are vastly inferior - there is just something about them that is just wrong when you are working - if you do a lot of work, you can tell the difference. I worked two years as an archeologist, digging holes for 8+ hours a day, and we would not touch a fiberglass handled shovel.

Same here. I have a Fiskars and an 8 pound maul. The Fiskars makes easy stuff easier. I can handle the maul just fine, but why swing anything more than you have to? The Fiskars goes through the straight stuff like butter, and is just about enjoyable. The tough stuff is just plain tough, and the Fiskars has no place there. Choose the correct tool for the job, and you'll be happy you did.

Thanks.

The Ludell I have has a fiberglass handle. I think there was a hickory handled one at FleetFarm I might go get just to compare the two different handles.

I have a 14 yr-old boy who can handle the 8# as well as I can so it might be nice to have two to work with.

I have an 8# Ludell maul with the yellow fiberglass handle. Have used it for about 7 years. It works great. A wood handle would be nice, but have not had the inclination to change it.

Things I have done to it:

1. Took a sander and polished it to a very smooth finish.
2. Sharpened the edge to about a 75 degree, 1/4" edge, sharp.
3. Keep it coated with silicone spray, usually a coating is dried on prior to use.

I also have a Fiskar's super splitter. If the wood is easy, that is what I pick up. It's almost effortless. If the wood is tough, the Ludell will get through it.

If it is really tough, then a noodling I will go!

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I was at Fleet Farm the other day and notice that Ludell is offering a lightweight logsplitter that looks like a spin-off of the Fiskars.

Does anyone use one of these? I have a Ludell 8# maul and am pleased with it. But with all the raves about Fiskars I'm wondering if a better tool would make those tough rounds easier.

I'm currently working on a load that has some tough rounds. Big knots, and still wet. Some soak up several blows before finally coming apart.

Does having the right tool make a tough log easy? Or are tough logs just tough to split no matter what tool you use? (not including hydraulic or 'lectric splitters)

I've got both. Its hard to go back and forth the in same day between the two because the Lundell has the long handle and the Fiskars is short. Each works well for me, but...the lundell did not right from the store. It stuck real easy until I touched it up with a good grind on the cutting edge. I alternate between the two, I grab what I feel like for the day. I usually never split for more than a couple hours at a time per day. The Lundell handle has more flex than the Fiskars. If the Fiskars gets stuck deep down in the round it seems harder to pull out. If I had to choose only one I'd probably go for the Fiskars just because the steel seems better quality and stays sharper. Plus the lifetime warranty on the handle is hard to beat too. But if I had never had a Fiskars I don't feel I'd be missing much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.