Lux TX9000RF Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonD

Dec 22, 2010
Wallingford, CT
I'm thinking of a set back thermostat. Don't need the uber Skytech remote but a remote control is appealing. Is anyone using a Lux TX9000RF? A couple questions - is the wall unit to stove wireless or just the remote to wall unit. It looks like it's probably wired from stove to thermostat. Can it be used with a regular 2 wire stove connection?

I have a QuadraFire Castile and the manual says a 12 volt AC thermostat is required but the TX9000RF says it's a 24 v unit but then all the Lux units say that and I know people are using others like the TX9000TS, TX1500E and TX500E. What's up with that?

Also, on the Lowes comparison chart, the TX9000RF says Optional Battery-Free Operation = NO. What does that mean? Will it get power from the stove or does it need a 3rd wire, or do they run off battery all the time? Others (TX9000TS, TX1500E) say Optional Battery-Free Operation = YES.

That unit requires 6 batteries in the base unit to operate. It is remote only from the hand remote to the wall control unit.....the wall unit has to be hard wired to the stove.

Not sure about the 12 v part. Looks like a nice unit.

My quad 1200i says the same thing in the manual but when I measured it, its 24vac. I think the Lux thermostats use dry contacts and can be used regardless of the control voltage. My TX500e does.

DBCOOPER said:
My quad 1200i says the same thing in the manual but when I measured it, its 24vac. I think the Lux thermostats use dry contacts and can be used regardless of the control voltage. My TX500e does.

True, I talked to a Lux rep. All Lux thermostats are controlled by the batteries, stove voltage makes no difference.

I never could figure out why they say 12 volts in the manuals. Try to find a 12 volt thermostat! No such thing. All you need is a set of contacts to open and close the circuit. Dirt simple. You want and need either a thermostat with batteries or one of the old style thermostats with a bimetallic spring and tube of mercury.

Status
Not open for further replies.