M55 Auger squeak, or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Despite putting "high temp/no-seize lube on the tip of my auger, I am still getting squeeking noises when the auger turns, But Not every time it turns.....During the last clean, I scraped the end of the tip and I took the vacuum hose to the opening as well. Could the squeeking be coming from somewhere else? Thanks, Bill

Could the squeak be coming from somewhere else?

Sure.

But most likely it is from the Agitator Rod Left side bearing assembly.

You state it is from the Auger tip. Are you sure you have the correct part identified?

The auger is installed diagonally from back to front and supplies pellets from the hopper to the burn pot.
The Agitator is the rod through the burn pot that has a chain drive on the right side of the burn box and an open bearing on the left side.

My agitator rod developed a slight (infrequent) squeak as well.
I cleaned the left bearing socket with some vacuum suction and applied a generous amount of supplied anti-seize to the left end of the rod.
Slipped it back in place and have no further noise issues.
That was about 3 weeks (30+ bags) ago.

Not that it would make a squeak but is your burn pot liner scraped clean?
If there is a clinker buildup on the pot liner and the agitator is riding on it it could cause the bearing surface to vibrate.
Ensure your burn pot is scraped clean down to bare metal. Sometimes the clinker disguises itself and is hard to see.
I use a 5-in-1 tool to really scrape the pot liner.

Good Luck.
---Nailer---

I have had this occur occasionally. It could be at the bottom of the hopper at the base of the auger.
Fines and dust can build up at the base of the hopper. Let the pellets run low and vac this area out.

Thanks Nailer! Thanks for the correction....I meant agitator rod. I have lost or misplaced the little brown tube (lube) if that's what your referring to. Any suggestions besides the no-seize lube? I will give the burn pot line a good scrape. Bill

Unless something is out of alignment with the burnpot or the agitator the Anti-seize should do the trick.

The package (tube) supplied with mine is

Loctite C5-A copper/graphite Anti-seize

Available at any auto-parts store in a tube or can.
On Amazon for $7.00

---Nailer---

Apparently my installer didn't think I would need the anti-sieze... Because he sure didn't leave me any!!!

Thanks for the info nailed_nailer I will pick some of this up Just in case!!

Eatonpcat said:
Apparently my installer didn't think I would need the anti-sieze... Because he sure didn't leave me any!!!

Thanks for the info nailed_nailer I will pick some of this up Just in case!!

Anything with the Loctite name on it is usually expensive, but very high quality! I've seen Loctite products succeed where other products have failed while using their products on heavy elevator machines. I know this is a forum dealing with stoves and such, but if the Loctite brand held up to the punishment of machinery that runs 24/7. It will do a great job around the house, shop or for any reason you may think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.