Magnum Winchester problem solving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rloughney

Dec 24, 2010
western pa
Hello all

After three years of struggling with this stove, including a new circuit board, I thought that I had it dialed finally. However, I recently got a new ton of pellets from the same manufacturer that I had been using, Tri State Biofuels here in PA, and the new pellets are shorter in length and darker in color. At first, I was very excited about the shortness as some of the other pellets had been 2 plus inches in length and would get stuck.
Anyhow, I can't seem to get these to burn, or maybe bc they are smaller, more pellets are fed through the auger. After about 8 hours, my burn pot is full to the brim, whereas I used to be able to get closer to 18 or so. I have tried opening the damper all of the way and also moving the "jumper switch" around on the circuit board.
Also, my heat output is way less.
Do you think it is a pellet problem or some combo of feed rate/damper opening?
How should I trouble shoot?

Roger

rloughney,

Greetings and here's my take for what its worth ( maybe not much).

I'm also burning the Tri state pellets, about 65 bags so far this season, and have experienced the same large amounts of "clinkers" in my Quadrafire Sante Fe.

I have no adjustment damper for air flow, just feed rate, and seems to make no difference if I run it on medium or high, same results.

Sorry I am not familiar with your stove, but sounds like its the pellets, at least for you and I.

Ok, to follow up on my post. I have switched burn pots from the standard pot to the one designed to burn pellets only, especially sub par or dirty pellets. I have put the jumper switch in the middle, standard setting on the circuit board and have the heat output on 2.
I start the fire with the damper closed all the way, after the stoves heats up and the room blower turns on, I open it halfway. After about 20 minutes burning at that rate, I open it all the way. I am getting great heat output now and have to empty once a day, and stir once (stir in the morning, empty in the evening) or maybe a little longer than that. It does produce monster clinkers, and is burning dirty as all get out, but it is hot, and I just have to clean the stove about every 4-5 days as opposed to once a week.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.