Maine CHoice Pellets at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
How are these purning for prople? They are at $187 right now and with 10% coupon, they look good

What about fireside ultra?

I like fireside much better. I think lowes is running the same deal here and they sell fireside, maines choice and green teams. Im going to go buy some green teams i think. i like them the best out of those

Green Team is a decent wood pellet. Not the best,but not the worst either.

Called Epping Lowes, they have fireside and maine choice and will be getting in Green team this week.

187 - 10% coupons (get on web or use HD 10%) 3.36 a bag.

Toycruiser84 said:
where on the web do you get the coupon ?

Not on the web, Go to a local post office and ask for the movers packet. There is a Lowes coupon in there. I do believe that HomeDepot also excepts this coupon, But I haven't tried it myself!

Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and the Maine's Choice pellets burn very well!

Those pellets kept my upstairs in the split entry home at a comfy 71 degrees. When it was 9 degrees outside one morning last week, I only had to turn up the heat feed rate to 3 out of 6!

At Lowes new Sale price I am saving my $5 per bag Canadian Logik-e pellets for January!!

Attachments

• LowesMaineChoiceSaleSC.jpg
    LowesMaineChoiceSaleSC.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 917
  • WPMaineChoiceSC.jpg
    WPMaineChoiceSC.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 906

But like a lot of people will say here, different pellets burn different for diffierent stoves. I know I'm new to the pellet world (again) but that is 1 thing I do remember.

I bought 6 different brands on thursday.

Greene Team was put in yesterday and we were nice and toasty. I now have Maines Choice buring and I'm getting the same results as the Greene Team. I did buy Corinth and had nothing but HEAVY dust and they were not a hot burning pellet at all.

Tomorrow I will try 1 of the 3 different brands I have left.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lowes Coupon.

I tried a few bags of Maine's Choice a few weeks back and I rate them on the low side of average.

I was in Lowes in Epping yesterday and saw the Maine's Choice. $3.80 a bag...Never tried them and was interested to see if my stove liked them or not. I'm not as scientific as Jay but I do have a digital temperature display for my discharge air temp. On setting #1, I average 135 degrees with the Cubex. I got 128 with the MC. On #4, I usually average 230 degrees with the Cubex....220 with the MC. Highest setting, 310 with the Cubex.....290 with the MC. They are burning clean with very little ash and the window is staying very clean....so, at least for me, they are ok. For that price, I'm gonna buy 20 bags and add them to my stash. I would buy more but I just don't have the room.

I also picked up one bag of Inferno. I just had to see how bad they were. I asked about the Green Team and they told me that they had two full pallets and they didn't want to break them up just yet.

Chan

I burned Maine Choice all last season and paid $249 a ton and had to pick them up myself. I thought they burned ok: not superior but ok. This year it's all OKIES. I certainly would grab some bags and try them in your stove as that price is very good.

Last night I went to Lowe's to pick up a few bags of Stove Chow and upon entering the Lawn and Garden area, I saw 4 bags of Maine's Choice that were in a separate pile because the bags were torn. I asked if I could get them at 1/2 price because usually they will sell them at that price if the bag is damaged. The guy said no way we don't do that anymore because people are purposely damaging bags so they can get them at 1/2 price.

So I'm leaving with the 2 bags of Stove Chow and the manager happens to be there and says, how would you like the damaged bags of Maine's Choice at 1/2 price, I want them out of here. I figured what do I have to lose at $1.92 a bag. Well I just put a bag in about 3 hours ago and I'm very surprised at the heat output. In fact, they are definitely hotter than the bags of Green Team I purchased earlier in the week. I also bought 2 bags of Fireside Ultra across the street at Home Depot, also $3.84 a bag. Doing a mini, very unscientific test, to see which one of these pellets I want to buy between Green Team, Stove Chow, Fireside Ultra and now Maine's Choice. Right now it is definitely Maine's Choice over Green Team.

I picked up 25 bags @ the $3.74 price.

I rate them about the same as the NEWP I burned last year. (Jaffery plant)

Not as hot (barely) as Vermonts or Okies, but decent in my stove.

A bit more ash than Okies or Vermonts, but the glass is about the same.

Stove is a St. Croix Auburn.

BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:

Based on Jay's results ......they would be 21 degrees less than the Okies, and 5 degrees less than the Vermont's......so more than barely and just barely..
As for ash.......121% more than the Vermont and 92% more than the Okies........pretty much double in both cases.....which is a hellva lot more than just " a bit more"....

Price is right, but much more cleaning as well........for some, a great deal.....for others ...too much work to clean that much.....just how much is your time worth?

1. I don't work for them, I'm not trying to sell them to you, and I could care less if you, or anyone else buys them. I myself just bought some to try, based soley on price.

2. My testing is not scientific. My "barely" is based on my home thermometer. With Okies and Vermonts, I held a constant 74 degrees on the number 2 setting on my thermometer situated about 14 feet in front of the stove. The Maines held 72-73 degrees. All other factors were the same, the outdoors temps have been very consistent the last two weeks, my fans running in the same positions, same times. So, yeah, they were "barely" less hot than Okies or Vermonts. My opinion, again, not scientific.

3. I clean my stove weekly, and yes, there is "a bit more" ash with the Maines. Does the percentage really matter to me, no. I'll have to speak to my vac about it, it's his problem.

4. I believe it has been said on here before, but different pellets burn different in different stoves. Agreed?

5. I took your post to be a little demeaning in regard to my post. I was just throwing out my opinion based on my experience with these pellets, I apologize for not being technical enough.

Back to lurking I guess-

I am finding them to be a little dusty, and a little more ash than the LG's I burned last year. Other than that, a good pellet.

NHPltBrnr said:
Back to lurking I guess-

No lurking please. We all have our own opinions. My testing was to show that not all pellets are created equal. And to assist you in your own comparing of them. Use what ever works for you and Who cares what I say!

Plus I tested last seasons Maine Choice, Did they get better this season?

NHPltBrnr said:
BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:

Based on Jay's results ......they would be 21 degrees less than the Okies, and 5 degrees less than the Vermont's......so more than barely and just barely..
As for ash.......121% more than the Vermont and 92% more than the Okies........pretty much double in both cases.....which is a hellva lot more than just " a bit more"....

Price is right, but much more cleaning as well........for some, a great deal.....for others ...too much work to clean that much.....just how much is your time worth?

1. I don't work for them, I'm not trying to sell them to you, and I could care less if you, or anyone else buys them. I myself just bought some to try, based soley on price.

2. My testing is not scientific. My "barely" is based on my home thermometer. With Okies and Vermonts, I held a constant 74 degrees on the number 2 setting on my thermometer situated about 14 feet in front of the stove. The Maines held 72-73 degrees. All other factors were the same, the outdoors temps have been very consistent the last two weeks, my fans running in the same positions, same times. So, yeah, they were "barely" less hot than Okies or Vermonts. My opinion, again, not scientific.

3. I clean my stove weekly, and yes, there is "a bit more" ash with the Maines. Does the percentage really matter to me, no. I'll have to speak to my vac about it, it's his problem.

4. I believe it has been said on here before, but different pellets burn different in different stoves. Agreed?

5. I took your post to be a little demeaning in regard to my post. I was just throwing out my opinion based on my experience with these pellets, I apologize for not being technical enough.

Back to lurking I guess-

As posted earlier I put in Maine's Choice for the 1st time yesterday and I really like them. Just like NHPltBrnr my testing is by no means scientific, but they are working for me.

Jay, did you possibly test these when a so called bad batch might have been going around, and also haven't some people on this sight said they were improved?? Perhaps they need to be tested again. All I know is that they are throwing off good heat. The ash is a little high and my window is fairly clean after 2 bags on speeds from 1 - 3. I rate them equal to the Green Team I tried earlier in the week.

I saw today at Shaw's Supermarket in Beverly that they are selling Inferno's for $6 a bag and $250 a ton. They are advertising like it's a great deal that your savings is $50 per ton. NO THANKS!!!

countk said:
Jay, did you possibly test these when a so called bad batch might have been going around, and also haven't some people on this sight said they were improved?? Perhaps they need to be tested again. All I know is that they are throwing off good heat. The ash is a little high and my window is fairly clean after 2 bags on speeds from 1 - 3. I rate them equal to the Green Team I tried earlier in the week.

With the lack of interest in this seasons testing, And the crap that it seems to cause. I think I am done with this stuff here. You Guys/Gals get the point. You don't need me anymore. I'll test the Corinths over at woodpelletreviews.com as I promised too for a local pellet house. I will then retire. Maybe a test of a new brand or 2 over there. But nothing more here.

The batch I tried was before there plant cought fire. At that time it was the best Maine pellet. Since then MWP has raised the bar, Corinth has followed suite. I wouldn't doubt Maine Choice has improved there stuff as well.

BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:
BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:

Back to lurking I guess-

1. a. That is one of the major problems…too many people simply buy on “price alone†and then wonder why they don’t get the results from their stove they were wanting. IMHO this continues to be a problem with the box stores approach to pellets year after year….you may not agree with me here.

2. b. I didn’t say your testing was scientific. I was merely expressing my view that your assessments were a tad “broad†in your interpretation….again in my opinion.

3. c. The percent may not matter to you, but it should, since this is what you are paying for. We are not talking just a small amount or “a little bit†more. We are talking just about double the amount of ash. You have to take more time to clean, weekly or whenever you do your maintenance, but it also takes that much more time to do your yearly clean and more ash can build up in places you wouldn’t normally clean and then you have even bigger problems down the road…..my question again is ….what is your time worth? I realize that these pellets and many others are less expensive up front than mine, or Vermont’s, Cubex, Barefoot and a few others, but are they really cheaper in the long run……maybe, maybe not depending on other factors also…..that is the point I was wanting to make.

4. d. Agreed…..but bad pellets are still a pain in the ass regardless of what stove you burn them in. Just ask just about anybody who burned ACP’s or Maine Woods in 2008…..Some NEWP’s from their NY plant last year, Lakes Region who could produce clinkers the size of Long Island or some of the stuff that comes out of the mid-west. I pretty much guarantee you that not too many people were thinking what a great deal they got on these pellets when they were trying to burn them. More likely they were thinking…..â€What the hell was I thinking buying this stuff?â€â€¦â€¦Junk is junk…regardless of the price you pay.

5. e. Oh come on…man up… I didn’t mean to hurt your feeling here. All I was saying was that your assessments about just a little bit more ash was weak. “Double†something is not just a little bit more. If that hurt your feelings, that was not my intentions….but come on, I didn’t call your wife ugly or your kid stupid or something like that…….. :)

Sir, I respect your contributions to this site, without doubt.

LOL. Takes more than that to hurt my feelings.

"“Double†something is not just a little bit more. If that hurt your feelings, that was not my intentions….but come on".....

Again, that was a controlled test on a specific stove, and while I don't doubt the results one bit, different stoves burn different pellets with different results.

Bottom line, I bought some pellets to try for the heck of it (not for survival), gave my opinion to the OP who asked how they burned for people. Whether the opinon was too broad for your liking is irrelevant to me.

So, what brand of pellets do you recommend? :roll:

I don't have a dog in the fight, but you do, correct?

I'll add that I already have a ton of Okies, about 3/4 ton of Vermonts, and the 25 bags of Maines.

I think the original poster wanted a general consensus of what people thougth about the Maines, their experiences. I simply added mine.

Merry Christmas-

author="NHPltBrnr" date="1292821346"“Double†something is not just a little bit more. If that hurt your feelings, that was not my intentions….but come on".....

Again, that was a controlled test on a specific stove, and while I don't doubt the results one bit, different stoves burn different pellets with different results.

One thing that will remain pretty consistent with different stoves burning is the ash content. The stoves have little to do with it. Unless the stove is burning so darned bad to give incomplete burns of the pellets. Batch variance and the quality of the fiber will be the biggest variance on ash content! I have burned the same batch(ton) of pellets in 3 different stoves and the ash content was darned near exact from them. What will be different is the heat output do to feed variance and the burn length.

SO I would bet if the Maine Choice are doing better in ash content? Its more like better process control and using better fiber on there part.

j-takeman said:
countk said:

With the lack of interest in this seasons testing, And the crap that it seems to cause. I think I am done with this stuff here. You Guys/Gals get the point. You don't need me anymore. I'll test the Corinths over at woodpelletreviews.com as I promised too for a local pellet house. I will then retire. Maybe a test of a new brand or 2 over there. But nothing more here.

The batch I tried was before there plant cought fire. At that time it was the best Maine pellet. Since then MWP has raised the bar, Corinth has followed suite. I wouldn't doubt Maine Choice has improved there stuff as well.

Jay,

In no way was I disrespecting any of your reviews. In fact, your work IMHO has been awesome. I have gained a lot in my decision making because of your reviews.

The funny thing is after I posted this I thought you might take it wrong. I certainly would not suggest you test them again if you didn't want to, nor should you with all you've done already. My point was merely that perhaps these pellets have improved since they were tested by you. that's all.

Again, I appreciate your work and if you do keep testing, again IMO, it would always be helpful!

countk said:
j-takeman said:
countk said:

Jay,

In no way was I disrespecting any of your reviews. In fact, your work IMHO has been awesome. I have gained a lot in my decision making because of your reviews.

The funny thing is after I posted this I thought you might take it wrong. I certainly would not suggest you test them again if you didn't want to, nor should you with all you've done already. My point was merely that perhaps these pellets have improved since they were tested by you. that's all.

Again, I appreciate your work and if you do keep testing, again IMO, it would always be helpful!

What you said has nothing to do with me resigning from doing my testing here. This was coming anyway, I haven't tested anything in a while. And wasn't happy for some other reasons. I didn't take what you said with disrespect. The second part of my answer was more for your question.

Batch variance is very hard to get around. What I test may not be what you all get. My testing was more of just a spot check and to show some the how to's. Peace! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.