Maine Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I had hoped to see a lot of good spring season pellet prices, but in my area prices are mostly holding to last fall levels. I have read with envy at some of the out of state prices members have been getting.

Well I "think" I'm almost ready to make the call and order Maine Choice pellets. Mainegeek had posted and PM'd me with the information he had of $225 delivered, and that's the best price I have seen to date, as a matter of fact $24 dollars cheaper than last year from TSC, and I had to pick those up myself! I E-mailed the Sales Director for Geneva Wood Fuels yesterday, and they are expecting to "have product available mid to late May". So I am personally guesstimating a May-June-July delivery time frame.

I hope they are at least the same quality as last year before the plant explosion. I re-read old reports and the explosion occurred in the wood chip drier so I am hoping for the best (or should I say the same?). They burned good in my Castile, and still are as night time temps have been cold and it's snowing right now.

Thanks again to Mainegeek for the information.

I still have a ton left of Maines choice, went through one ton.
My neighbors,four of us,bought 10 tons last year. Not one would buy them again,lots of ash and several bags had some corners of pellets that got wet.

Just paid for 4 tons of the new Athens after burning 2 bags.
They burned as well or better than the New England's that we burned this year.
The Pellet Warehouse in Jay has them on sale this month for $199/ton!
They indicated that they are open to deliveries across the state.

Good luck on your choice!

As I posted in another spot, I just bought 4 tons of Maine's Choice for $215. New production.
Test report results are great for ash, heat, and density. I loved them last year. For those of you
that got "bad" MCs last year, there was a time in early June where a substandard batch was
produced but quickly remedied when the problem was noticed. I bought mine at Spring Brook
Ice and Fuel Co. in Waterville, Me. I am not sure how long their sale will last.

sandy888 said:
As I posted in another spot, I just bought 4 tons of Maine's Choice for $215. New production.
Test report results are great for ash, heat, and density. I loved them last year. For those of you
that got "bad" MCs last year, there was a time in early June where a substandard batch was
produced but quickly remedied when the problem was noticed. I bought mine at Spring Brook
Ice and Fuel Co. in Waterville, Me. I am not sure how long their sale will last.

"Bought" as in paid for 'em and got 'em, or ordered 'em? Are they actually in production now? I ordered some last month, the guy is supposed to call when he gets some in. And, no, I didn't pay up front, just wondering if I should be expecting a call.

When I called "the guy" to get on the list for Maine Choice he said they would be back up and running the first week of May. I should mention I haven't heard anything since... he asked me if I wanted May or June delivery. I told him it really didn't matter to me (I'm ready to buy now). He told me he would put me down for May delivery. As I said before, I haven't heard anything yet... I'm hoping this isn't a "snake oil" deal and this doesn't cause me to miss out on the Energex @ $249/ton. Time will tell I guess.... I'm still on the fence about getting 4 tons of MC w/o having burned them before; but hey, the money will stay local and in this country so I'm willing to give it a try! I'm hoping I don't regret this decision.... at least if they don't come through I'm not out any money besides the possible discounts I may have missed....

So, am I the only one still burning??? lol I keep planning on doing my "BIG" cleaning but it always gets cold right before....

mainegeek said:
So, am I the only one still burning??? lol I keep planning on doing my "BIG" cleaning but it always gets cold right before....

Got up around 4 this morning to take a leak, kicked the 'stat up on the Revolution, went back to bed, toasty when I got up at 5. Not putting any more in the hopper, tho'. (Third time I've said that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.