Maine Wood's Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rap69ri

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Middle of RI
Trying to put together another truckload of pellets to the Central RI area. The pellet we're looking at is Maine Wood's and the price will be $230/ton. If anyone is interested let me know.

Rick

hey Rick,

don't see you much floating around here lately, thought you were all set with that truck load you had earlier this year.

good to see ya popping in, you've been a great helper here.

We ended up getting 5 truckloads this year, but if I can help more people get a deal on pellets why not.

I've been lurking helping when I can, but life's beena little hectic to be on too much. I'll have more time when it gets colder I hope.

Well, i tried a fresh 2 bags of Maine Woods again last week, just for the Heck of it, no diff as far as i can see from last years,still just as Dirty,i'd Have to be completely out of Pellets before i could intentionally burn them in my stove again... Just my Opinion of course.On the other hand, a good runner up in Maine would be the Corrinth(blue bag) or Penningtons.But we can,t get either here in New Brunswick.
This Pic was taken this week of a new Bag, case anyone wants to compare how they look with Last years.

Attachments

• tn_Maine Woods Nov 2-09.jpg
    tn_Maine Woods Nov 2-09.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 519
I must be lucky to have burned nothing but really crappy pellets all last year, and starting this year. Last year (first year burning pellets) was 2 ton of Energex and 2 ton of Pennington. Thought they worked fine, kept the house warm. This year I started with 10 bags of Corinths. Worked fine, kept the house warm. Been burning Maine Woods for 3 days now, seem to be the cleanest burning, warmest I've burned. Go figger. Guess some of us just ain't made for the good stuff.

I haven't actually tried any of them yet, but will hopefully make it out this weekend to buy a few bags. Most reviews of the new Maine Woods has been positive so it's worth a try to see if they're any good. If they're good I'll end up buying a few truck loads for next year.

hossthehermit said:
I must be lucky to have burned nothing but really crappy pellets all last year, and starting this year. Last year (first year burning pellets) was 2 ton of Energex and 2 ton of Pennington. Thought they worked fine, kept the house warm. This year I started with 10 bags of Corinths. Worked fine, kept the house warm. Been burning Maine Woods for 3 days now, seem to be the cleanest burning, warmest I've burned. Go figger. Guess some of us just ain't made for the good stuff.

If they are the best pellets...you should try pellets that are made from wood.

I had a bag of pellets from them last week. I tried them out and one 40 pound bag filled up a mason jar and then some full of ash. They also burned dirty and required lots of additional air, I would not suggest getting them.

SparkyDog said:
hossthehermit said:

Gotta burn what ya can get.

MWP make the most ash I have ever burned, they give off sparks every time the auger turns. My OPB will burn anything so I can burn these without ro much trouble, but they make piles of ash and clog the HX.

SparkyDog said:
hossthehermit said:

Warm here yesterday, so shut down and cleaned. Gotta say, they do leave a lot of ash. Have to dump the pan more often burning these, I guess. Glass has stayed cleaner, though.

I've posted once before about these pellets. I just bought stove and 3 tons of these pellets for burning this winter. Because of shortages here last year I thought I should stock up instead of counting on being able to buy during season. AFTER I bought them I discovered all the bad reports on these pellets on this forum. From reading alot of the posts they report that the manufacturer remedied alot of the problems. I bought these pellets last week of Sept here in Ontario. I had to place an order for them so I at least know they weren't old stock at the store I bought them in. I do not know if they are old stock from some wearhouse, or if they have been made after the factory fixed their problems. But I am though about 20 bags so far of my first ton, and I have had very varied results. Some bags have been quite good as far as length of pellets etc. Some bags though have been full of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch bits of pellets. Lots and lots of ash, tons of sparking every time auger moves. But as I stated in my original post, I am new to this and wasn't too sure about the ash being excessive as I have no other brand that I've used to compare it to. However, I just went through a nightmare 2 bags, this last week. In middle of bags, (not top, not bottom), was a shitload of fines, sawdust, bits of broken pellets that were like BB size. I would estimate about 1/8 of both bags were like this. Guess what? Auger Jam. Repeatedly. I spent lot of time pulling my auger out, cleaning the whole stove out, reassembling. All 20 bags have been out of same skid. I'm not impressed. I'm getting worried about reliablity of my heat source, as I was hoping on this to be my only heat source. I've ended up manually screening the 2 bags to remove the sawdust and bits, and am back to using stove. I have 2 1/2 tons of these left. I hope this is an isolated incident.

I used to screen my pellets for awhile until it got to the point where it made no difference to the bigger picture and my time was better spent elsewhere...though I've never had any auger jam problems ever. I can understand some people wanting to beat up on a brand of pellets that gives them grief. I get some terrific heat out of the ones that I am burning and sometimes get heat swings that put the temperature up where the others never went..and for me ,thats where the rubber hits the road, because I don't need to see thru the glass to watch the pretty fire and I know I will always have to empty ashes,it is a part of the deal. And no clinkers. The time I spent cleaning the burn pot can be diverted elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.