Maine Woods Softwood, Turman Hardwood, Barefoot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandy131

Oct 14, 2011
Central MA
Newbie here and don't no pellet from pallet. Need 2 more ton for the season. Local farmer has above pellets in stock for $279, $285, $299/ton. Had our 10-cpm installed 11/10 and have put through 25 bags of Fireside Ultras with very good results (I think as I have nothing to compare this with). We need to add 2 tons to our original 3 tons, I believe, for the season. Given the choice which would you go for?

They're all good, so throw a dart. (And hope it lands on Turman) :)

Hi Ghandy131, having the same issue myself. Just wanted to add to your list to make your decision more difficult since we're both in Central MA. LOL! Spruce Pointe (Pellets Direct, Uxbridge) and Okanagan (Royal Fireside, Mendon). Both softwood and I heard great things about both. I burned my first bag of Spruce Pointe and they have very little ash and definitely hot. Will try the Okies next and then Barefoot before ordering my next two ton. Also picked up 10 bags of Turmans to try this week. Would like to try some Hamer's and Cubex but haven't been able to find any in MA. That should round out my list of new pellets to try this year. Good luck with your new stove!

i would get 1 ton barefoot & 1 ton turmans .

Only used turmans out of your 3 choices. Second year with 5 tons in garage. Love them

kykel said:
Only used turmans out of your 3 choices. Second year with 5 tons in garage. Love them

Hopefully next year someone around here will be selling them....

When I look at the ratings for these they show: MW soft 8550 BTU, Turman 8100 BTU and Barefoot 8500 BTU. Being a novice it appears to me that the MW soft or Barefoot would be the pellets of choice. Am I missing something with the Turmans??

ghandy131 said:
When I look at the ratings for these they show: MW soft 8550 BTU, Turman 8100 BTU and Barefoot 8500 BTU. Being a novice it appears to me that the MW soft or Barefoot would be the pellets of choice. Am I missing something with the Turmans??
Tellya what. I've burned all three. Two of them I love and one of them I would rather put on my ice cream rather than put it in my stove again! I aints tellin ya which one I despise, but if you can, try all three and then tell me if you think these ratings mean dill farting pickles!
Seriously, I have even seen Inferno's (In-for-no heat my friend!) labeled as having high heat output. Lemme tell you, dem shitz dont burn hot enough to make penguins wanna "do it".

johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:
Tellya what. I've burned all three. Two of them I love and one of them I would rather put on my ice cream rather than put it in my stove again! I aints tellin ya which one I despise, but if you can, try all three and then tell me if you think these ratings mean dill farting pickles!
Seriously, I have even seen Inferno's (In-for-no heat my friend!) labeled as having high heat output. Lemme tell you, dem shitz dont burn hot enough to make penguins wanna "do it".
i agree with ya . i would have a hard time buying mwp again after buying a few bags of sawdust from them a few years ago ..
i know they have improved my dad likes them but ...

smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:
i agree with ya . i would have a hard time buying mwp again after buying a few bags of sawdust from them a few years ago ..

ghandy131 is looking at the MWP softwoods, Not the blend. New this season and from what I hear they are WOW! ghandy131 you at least have to try them.

Still working on a sample to do a review with. And I have to say the MWP blend is pretty good too! In my stove anyway! But my beast is a whole other story!

ghandy131 said:

Have you seen this yet? I'd trust it more than 'official' ratings.

http://woodpellets4me.com/pdf/2011-2012-PelletReview.pdf

We were all newbies once. You need to read a lot, make an educated guess and go buy some and see what you think. Everyone is different and has different priorities. Some like'em cheap and don't mind the lower heat and extra cleaning. Some like super premium. I bought Turman's, Barefoot and Okaganan and so far just don't care as much for the softwood Okies but that's just me. Others love the softwood.

johnnycomelately said:

Handsome there might not tell you but look at his signature and guess which one he didn't add to his stash.

vettechick said:
They're all good, so throw a dart. (And hope it lands on Turman) :)

They're all good, so throw a dart. (And hope it lands on [del]Turman[/del] Barefoot) :coolsmile:

smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:
How'd ya know which ones I was talking about. Cheater!

johnnycomelately said:
smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:
How'd ya know which ones I was talking about. Cheater!

Not very many complain about the others. Pretty darn easy pickings! ;-)

j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:

ghandy131 is looking at the MWP softwoods, Not the blend. New this season and from what I hear they are WOW! ghandy131 you at least have to try them.

Still working on a sample to do a review with. And I have to say the MWP blend is pretty good too! In my stove anyway! But my beast is a whole other story!
i would be shocked if they were better than spruce points or okies.

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131 said:

I was shocked how good the Vermonts were, So I am keeping an open mind. Just glad we have another softwood in "Hard headed hardwood land"! Waited many a year for this to happen. I'd settle for decent and anything else is all plus's! :)

j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately said:
ghandy131" date="1323106329 said:

I was shocked how good the Vermonts were, So I am keeping an open mind. Just glad we have another softwood in "Hard headed hardwood land"! Waited many a year for this to happen. I'd settle for decent and anything else is all plus's! :)
yes you are right hope they do shock me..once bt gets some more im going to grab a few bags to try

ghandy131 said:
Newbie here and don't no pellet from pallet. Need 2 more ton for the season. Local farmer has above pellets in stock for $279, $285, $299/ton. Had our 10-cpm installed 11/10 and have put through 25 bags of Fireside Ultras with very good results (I think as I have nothing to compare this with). We need to add 2 tons to our original 3 tons, I believe, for the season. Given the choice which would you go for?
Well, looking at the pdf I posted the link for, if you liked Fireside you'll really love Turman's or Barefoot.

DonD said:
ghandy131 said:
Well, looking at the pdf I posted the link for, if you liked Fireside you'll really love Turman's or Barefoot.
The PDF was interesting- but no need to bring up the Kardashian girls again Please!

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
johnnycomelately" date="1323150909 said:
ghandy131" date="1323106329 said:

yes you are right hope they do shock me..once bt gets some more im going to grab a few bags to try

Tell them to hold a couple for me! I can't get any anywhere and really want to see what they are made off! Do you want to see a review?

DonD said:
ghandy131 said:

Fireside Ultra's AKA Stove Chow AKA Nature's Own AKA Energex American. Decent pellets but not as clean/hot as Barefoots and Turmans Whole different league of pellets there! Starts with the fiber. Can't control quality if you except any old open market fiber drop offs. Gotta have control right from the get go!

That's my story and I'm sticking too it! ;-)

vettechick said:
DonD said:
ghandy131 said:
The PDF was interesting- but no need to bring up the Kardashian girls again Please!
Hey, I didn't start that! :red:

I'll pick up a couple of each and run a very unsophisticated test if the weather ever turns cold. I let everyone know how it turns out. I'll start with what appears to be the HOTTEST burning pellets and follow with the tried and tested brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.