maine's choice pellets 100% hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa220

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2012
central ME
i have not read much about Maines Choice pellets on the forum but found some today for $210 per ton. is this a decent pellet at a decent price?

I have goad good luck with them and would buy them for that price. Average ash, no clinkers.
Some complaints on here have been some bags have a lot of fines.

I burned them last year as a shoulder season pellet.
For that price ($210) I'd buy them again.

Not the best pellet but decent.

I'm a dumper not a sifter and didn't notice extra/unusual fines.

---Nailer---

Haven't burned them for a couple years, had pretty good luck with them back in '10-'11

I burned a few bags last season, Not half bad IMHO. Heat was OK, ash was in spec, not a lot of fines and they burned fine. Chip to log pellet so they were somewhat coarse in texture(hopper slid) and not as dense as the hot brands. Decent for the money spent. But I would have to class them in the shoulder ranks for me, Not enough heat to get me by in the cold season.

Melissa220, I know this is your first season. I wouldn't fill the whole stash with these, You might want to get only a ton or 2 JIC. I'd try to get something with a bit more heat for the cold season. Or get some to start the season with, Then once the season starts and you get burning, You could trial some other stuff.

I'm just not sure filling the stash with an untried pellet is the best thing to do! IMHO, I'd play a safety and get a mixed batch or something with a better track record. But thats just me.

I just ordered 2 ton Maine Wood Pellet Co softwood pellets from Sibs. Delivery Oct 1. From what I understand this is going to be a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.