Maintenance of a soapstone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler659

Jun 15, 2010
west tennessee
I finally made my decision to buy a hearthstone mansfield stove,I'm in the process of redoing my hearth and will have an appx r value of 1.04 befrore the top layer of stone is applied.So thats one job almost out of the way.I went to two local stove dealers today to inquire on prices.Both were in the price range right around $3,000.They didnt have any in stock and said they are a special order stove since their isn't much of an interest for them in the area.They also talked about the maintenance involved in a soapstone stove mainly the caulking between the pieces of soapstone,they said its really a pain in the butt to redo.I have not read anything about this even in the manufactures manual. So if any of you who have a soapstone stove please let me know about the maintenance aspect.

No resealing between the stones is needed unless you take the whole thing apart. I have had to use some furnace cement on the inside of the stove to seal up gaps in the secondary air manifold system though.

I just did my annual maintenance last night. It included baffle removal, chimney sweeping, vacuuming out all the ash/creosote/dustbunnies from inside the stove, reinstall the baffle, and clean the glass. I've burned about 17 cords in the stove and have never needed to reseal the stones or even replace the rope door gaskets.

Soapstone stoves are very low maintenance. However, I wonder why you would want a Mansfield because of the area you live. It just doesn't seem to be that cold of an area, but then, you may have a very large area you need to heat. Up here in Michigan, we get along just fine with a Woodstock Fireview and folks in Wisconsin do too. It is smaller than the Mansfield but still cranks out a lot of heat.

If you haven't yet checked out the Woodstock stoves, do yourself a favor and check them out here: Woodstock stoves

btw, you will not find any dealers selling Woodstock stoves because they are sold direct only. However, do not let that stop you. This is an excellent company who does good work and stands behind their product. Their stoves are second to none! And here is one thing you will not find any dealer willing to do: Woodstock guarantees their stoves. If after 6 months you aren't satisfied with the stove, send it back for a full refund! Who else would give such a guarantee? But believe me, they get back very, very few stoves. People love them.

We were hesitant about buying like this. Several years ago we wanted to buy but at that time our money was tight so we went cheap. Cheap doesn't last too long though. Three years ago we bought a Fireview. Oh, how we wish we'd bought one sooner! The stove seems small but the heat output is fantastic. How good? We used to burn 6-7 cords of wood per winter. Now we burn 3 cord or less....and stay much, much warmer too. Our stove has been basically trouble free. We did have one small problem and had to replace a little spring washer. It cost about $.25 and took maybe 5 minutes to replace (it was on the draft control).

Good luck to you.

You can get a Woodstock a little cheaper too. And no dealer to deal with. You can talk to the guys who build 'em if you want to.

I can't imagine having to do maintainance like sealing around the soap stone - but I haven't seen a Hearthstone Mansfield upclose. Not something I'd worry about. I have a Woodstock Keystone and I don't see doing anything to it other than an occasional glass clean and emptying the ashes.

Though I own a Woodstock, I also think the hearthstone mansfield is a nice stove too. To me the big question you need to consider is low burns. The Woodstocks are cat stoves and excel at low clean burns. Easy to turn the heat down and still get a clean burn. I'm not sure that is practical with the secondary burn type stoves such as the Mansfield? On the other hand, the secondary stoves give a lively fire in the window due to the secondary burn.

Lots of debate on which type stove to buy, but I really think most all the stoves talked about on this forum are fine stoves and much better than the smoke dragons that my Dad burned many moons ago.

Good luck!
Bill

got both of them and they both are great stoves, I had to rebuild my mansfield due to overfiring from previous owner. I heard a couple of the same type of stories on here.. the mansfield has a better light show. as far as witch one is better? My opinion is the woodstock has less seams as the old style mansfield, the mansfield is a bigger stove, puts out more heat, I like them both, minor issues with both. My woodstock has a small patch of rust on the cast, witch I called woodstock on and they told me to sand it lightly and paint it. I deal with paint and rust is not that easy to take care of. kind of felt unsatisfied with there response.

Status
Not open for further replies.