Make a wood pellet stove do auto hi/lo ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Not sure about the pellpro, But I think the module you see in the photo plugs into the control board. The thermostat then connects to the module. Kind of an add on.

To convert your to high/low would take a bit of programming to the controls brain and a switch to set the mode. Seeing they lock the program chip I would say your out unless you could rewrite the whole code fopr the stove. THe chip has a propriatary program that Avalone probably wouldn't pass on to you.

If Avalone or Lopi release a similar stove, You could probably swap the control panel if the feed rate was the same. Or maybe even a stove that is very similar to the Lopi/Avalone setup. Most use a molex connector with similar wiring harness and pinouts. But you would need to do some home work(feedrate/blower voltages and more). I really wouldn't recommend the later. But if Avalone or Lopi release something? I would at least check it out.

Don2222 said:
Does anyone know if a wood pellet stove like my Avalon Astoria can be modified to do hi/lo instead of just on/off with a thermostat??

No.

As per what Jay said.....it would require a change in the code burned into the chip on the control board.

Well I can think of a way to make it do hi/low but you'll have to affix a set of light sensors over the heat range indication bar and do a bit of ....

Basically you need to be able to know the heat range the stove is in and be able to press the heat range button remotely (well that's not all but then Don needs a challenge :lol: ). Something for you to think about.

the gang is correct , in order to have dual functions the software in the controls has to be set that way. usually a pelet stove thermostat works in an "open/closed" circuit system , most cases there is a jumper which completes the circuit when a stat is not used and is removed when the stat is added. the circuit board looks for the closed circuit as a "call for heat" and an open when heat is not needed. what the stove does when it sees this open circuit is programmed into the board. we at ESW have both strictly high low in some of our older models due to not having a self cleaning igniter , but in our newer models we offer both high low and on off options. so it can be done , but the manufacturer would have to "build it in" to their software as we did. you might contact the manufacturer and see if they have that option availible maybe with a chip change it could be done.

Your Avalon does not have a multi-speed combustion blower, it uses a damper to control airflow to the burn pot. Sure you could rig up the control board to change heat output remotely, but how would you adjust airflow through the burn pot?

Harman on the other hand appears to use a multi-speed combustion blower to adjust airflow through the burnpot in relation to pellet feed-rate to maintain the target temperature in the room or in the convection outlet based on which ever mode you have chosen to operate the stove in.

Pretty cool.

I haven't located the installation manual but the Astoria is supposed to have a synchronized combustion blower. Installation manual confirms.

Checkthisout said:
Your Avalon does not have a multi-speed combustion blower, it uses a damper to control airflow to the burn pot. Sure you could rig up the control board to change heat output remotely, but how would you adjust airflow through the burn pot?

Harman on the other hand appears to use a multi-speed combustion blower to adjust airflow through the burnpot in relation to pellet feed-rate to maintain the target temperature in the room or in the convection outlet based on which ever mode you have chosen to operate the stove in.

Pretty cool.

There are many stoves that use a variable speed blower control. Not just Harman. AFAIK the only stove not using it is the Breckwells, You would need to tinker with the damper on each heat setting. One of the reasons I sold my Breckwell and aquired a Enviro. Set the damper to manufactor spec and basically forget it. The controller adjusts it for each heat range.

Does Harman have the High/Low and Auto/Off thermostat features?

Checkthisout said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
I haven't located the installation manual but the Astoria is supposed to have a synchronized combustion blower. Installation manual confirms.

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/100-01154.pdf

Like I added after bothering to download yet another manual the installation manual confirms that the combustion blower does indeed vary its speed with the heat range settings.

So all Don has to do is place a means of reading the heat range information off of the panel (or elsewhere) and cobble up a little system to advance the heat range settings until the proper one (high or low value) is displayed. He also has to take into consideration any possible associated changes that might be prudent (such as running the convection blower on high for a while after going from his high to low settings) depending upon the stoves reaction to heat range changes.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Checkthisout said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/100-01154.pdf

Like I added after bothering to download yet another manual the installation manual confirms that the combustion blower does indeed vary its speed with the heat range settings.

So all Don has to do is place a means of reading the heat range information off of the panel (or elsewhere) and cobble up a little system to advance the heat range settings until the proper one (high or low value) is displayed. He also has to take into consideration any possible associated changes that might be prudent (such as running the convection blower on high for a while after going from his high to low settings) depending upon the stoves reaction to heat range changes.

Hello
Thanks for all the great answers. Thanks Smokey for reading the manual! I think I missed that.

"Exhaust Blower
This blower may create a
low-pitched hum. This
sound will change as the
HEAT OUTPUT is altered."

It is subtle but it means the exhaust blower does vary in speed.

Anyway, It seems like the best way is to wait for Avalon to change the control board and then snag a new control board. I will not hope for this anytime soon.

Thanks again.

Any time Don, the only problem I have when I read those things is that after awhile they all look the same and get boring. It is also spelled out in the stove's brochure.

I think that imacman was the editor for all of the manuals. He could at least spice them up by borrowing some krooser illustrations ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.