Make sure you empty out ash pan on MT Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hooter04

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2010
Upstate NY
Woke up the other morning,with smoke smell in my garage. I thank god it was the garage,and not the house as I heat both with pellets. I quickly checked the ash pan ,and it was full causing smoke smell to fill the garage. Just a word to the wise.

hooter04 said:
Woke up the other morning,with smoke smell in my garage. I thank god it was the garage,and not the house as I heat both with pellets. I quickly checked the ash pan ,and it was full causing smoke smell to fill the garage. Just a word to the wise.

I empty mine twice a week usually. Depending on what I am burning, sometimes there is a lot and sometimes there is next to nothing and I could have easily gone a week. But, just do it anyway. Only takes a minute.

The stove in the garage I'm running New England wood pellets. The stove in the house I'm running cubex, so the cubex puts out less ash than NEWP.

So, sounds like you need to empty the one in the garage every 2 to 3 days max. If you have an ash bucket there in the garage anyway, I would probably just do it every day. I burned NEWP the first half season we had the stove. I should try them again sometime as I've learned so much on this forum since then.

hooter04 said:

Check your clips on the ashpan. They get weak after a while thus causing the pan not to seal properly.

BIH

Status
Not open for further replies.