making beer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
just looking to see if anyone has brewed a vanilla porter and like to share the recipe?

me neither. i had a Leinenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter and liked this. a little lighter on the body than i'm used to for a porter but very good. i want to see if i can clone it.

The Atwater Vanilla Java Porter is one of my go-to beers in the cold months.

I picked this up off homebrewtalk.com some time ago. It's on my list of brews to try sometime soon. I normally do 10 gallon batches so this will need some adjusting...

Style: 12B. Robust Porter
Type: All Grain
Brew date: Aug 13, 2011
Brewed by:

ABV: 5.4%
IBU: 16.6
Color: 46.1°SRM
IBU/OG: 0.313
Original gravity: 1.053
Final gravity: 1.012
Boil volume: 8.44 gal
Final volume: 6.00 gal

Yeast: White Labs California Ale

Fermentables
weight type boil time color ppg points
71% 9.00 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel 60 min
12% 1.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 min
8% 1.00 lbs Chocolate Malt 60 min
6% 12.00 oz Black (Patent) Malt 60 min
2% 4.00 oz Munich Malt - 10L 60 min
2% 4.00 oz Roasted Barley 60 min

Hops
0.25 oz Chinook
0.60 oz Tettnang
0.50 oz Pearle
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent

Adjuncts/Other
weight type phase
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) Boil
0.10 oz Irish Moss Boil
2.00 lbs Vanilla Bean secondary with 2 split whole vanilla beans
0.05 oz Sodium Metibisulfite Add to strike water

Mash
Mash efficiency: 72.0%
Water/Grist ratio (qts/lb): 1.50
Grain temperature: 68°F
Grain in mash: 12.75 lbs
phase action duration temperature volume water:grist strike step #
Mash In infusion 60 min 154°F 15.08 gal
Batch Sparge infusion 60 min 158°F 1.25 ga
Add to strike water infusion 60 min 0°F 1.00 qt

Boil
Duration: 60 min

Fermentation
Primary Fermentation 7 days 68°F
secondary with 2 split whole vanilla beans 7 days 68°F

Reactions: vinny11950
am i seeing right you used 2 pounds of vanilla beans?????????

Yeah, this would be 2lbs in secondary for 7 days. It does sound like a lot....but we shall see.

i was just going thru a spot i found here on the net
beerrecipes.org
over 4400 recipes
anybody make one from here? how did it turn out?

i'm watching this guy now. a little long winded but he explains himself. like him someday i'll try wine.

Not a vanilla porter, but my buddy and I have a vanilla oatmeal stout that has been in the bottles for the last three weeks. I will probably crack one open this evening and see how it turned out.

The vanilla bean was new this time around. The rest of the recipe is our our oatmeal stout that we have made a number of times now. Probably my favorite of all our beers.

I’ll let you know how it turns out. If it’s good, I’ll share the recipe.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That recipe sounds like it has a typo. 2 lbs is a huge amount of vanilla. When I wanted a vanilla touch to a porter or stout I typically added 3-4 split beans. Another option would be to use a high quality vanilla extract. Some folks make their own extract. In the least, the beans should be steeped in vodka the night before to strengthen flavor.

Here is a ten gallon recipe:

10 gallon batch

23 lb us 6 row
1 lb caramel 60
1 lb black malt
1 lb chocolate malt
2 oz Kent Golding - 60 minutes
.5 oz Kent Golding - 30 minutes
2 oz Fuggle - 2 minutes
Estimated 24.2 IBU's
Fermented with S-04

Coffee was Kroger Private Selection. 12oz Sumatra and 12oz Kona cold brewed for 2 days in 3 quarts of distilled water. I used 60 ml of homemade vanilla that I had made a few months earlier with 8 Madagascar vanilla beans and 16 oz of vodka. I added the coffee and vanilla a day before I kegged and bottled.
It fermented down to 1.011 yielding 6.8% abv before being watered down a little with the coffee.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/atwater-brewery-vanilla-java-porter-clone.435413/
https://www.beanilla.com/blog/java-vanilla-porter

Last edited:
I forgot to post back earlier. The vanilla oatmeal stout that my buddy and I brewed turned out amazing. He's the one that created our recipe, so I need to check with him before I share it. Hopefully he is cool with the idea.

-SF