Making firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
There is more than one way to get some oak. This tree is actually not on our property; it is on the line but on his side. Trouble is, we had to get some dead limbs out of there lest they make some dents in the barn. We did get some new oak to burn out of this but it was expensive oak. Still, it will burn nicely.

The shed is 31' long and he could reach past the other end. He worked fast too. When he would move the boom, it would still be bobbing around and he'd already be cutting. Maybe I'll take a few more pictures after I get the wood all together.

Treetrimming-3.gif

The way some of the limbs look to be reaching over the barn, that looks like a really good idea. The device he's using is very cool. How long to season what oak you got, Dennis? A couple of decades? Just kiddin...

We figure by the year 2020 it might be okay to try burning it. :)

How long to season what oak you got, Dennis? A couple of decades? Just kiddin… Gark, the better ? might be how long before he thinks he may need it?

Happy Thanksgiving Dennis & All here! God Bless. A C

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1322166681"]There is more than one way to get some oak. This tree is actually not on our property; it is on the line but on his side. Trouble is, we had to get some dead limbs out of there lest they make some dents in the barn. We did get some new oak to burn out of this but it was expensive oak. Still, it will burn nicely.

The shed is 31' long and he could reach past the other end. He worked fast too. When he would move the boom, it would still be bobbing around and he'd already be cutting. Maybe I'll take a few more pictures after I get the wood all together.

Send that man this way when he's done, we have a few jobs for him.

zap

Gark said:
How long to season what oak you got, Dennis
Dead limbs? Toss one in the stove tonight and see... :smirk:

What kind of Oak is it, Dennis?

Backwoods Savage said:
We figure by the year 2020 it might be okay to try burning it. :)

You mean you'll have burned thru your huge stash by then? ;-)

Hey, that is red oak. Yes, there are some dead limbs that won't take long to dry (they seem to be soaked right now. Yes, we've had rain.)

Zap, we'll send him over but it took a long time for him to find our place so don't hold your breath. Did a good job though.

Hey guys, I don't have that much wood left....but we're not hurting. Good thing because I'm not too sure how the cutting will go this winter. Not been too great as of late as many times I can't even go hunting and when I do the wife takes me out on the atv. Comes to pick me up later too. Not sure what I'd do with that atv and especially the wife.

Take care, if you are having trouble hunting, don't rush splitting too much wood.

Give the milk crate a rest........ ;-)

Have him leave the bucket truck there Dennis, great deer stand! Little heater and you would be all set.

If you need some help cutting, I would be more than happy to help you out. Don't hesitate to ask. All I ask for is a cup of hot coffee! Ok maybe a donut or 2!

OH how I wish I could have that truck for a few days!

Thanks wishlist for the offer of help. If we need it, we'll let you know but right now we have enough wood for several winters; that is, through 2015 for sure so even if I can't cut this winter we'll be fine. But you can bet your booties I'll be out there cutting.

Cool pic backwoods. Thanks for sharing. I wish you good luck hunting. Hopefully a nice big buck will walk by ya with his "mind" on something else.

That may save you some troubles down the road if you ever get a wet snow.
(Well if you ever get snow this year at all. :lol: )
Your tree or not, it don't care if it pokes holes thru the roof of your shed,
I guess you own the "air space" where the limbs are.
Good action photo!

Ya, and we didn't even have to use the milk crate! lol

However, I'm going to have to do some sawing because he cut the stuff in different lengths. He's cut a few and drop them into the bucket and then when enough he'd move the bucket to the side and just throw them down. It was slow trimming that way but the best way to get it done. He worked pretty fast too.

Wow! I thought you cut all your wood by yourself! My hero is lost.

If he would have let me in that bucket I'd have gladly done the cutting. However, you know how folks are....

Status
Not open for further replies.