Making Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4cyl2v8

Jan 30, 2010
Long Island, NY
Made some upgrades to my wood storage solution. Any comments or suggestions? I have a bit more to do on the sides but I will take care of that as I get some more pallets to salvage. I have room to put another one on the left of this one, but I will take that on when this one is full.

Went from this:

downsized_1023091634.jpg

0318001844.jpg

0320001838.jpg

To this:

0322001827.jpg

Now I just have to split this:

0322001830.jpg

Its getting addictive. I managed to only go through one and a half tanks of fuel oil this year (275gal tank) which sealed the deal for me.

Looks good I like it, what are you going to put on the sides and roof? Whoops I now see you have clear covering on the roof, what material is that?

The roof is Palruf from Home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The sides are going to be spaced planks from the top and bottom of pallets. You can just make out the first layer on the left side of the completed picture in the back. I have to get some more block to make out the floor, but it will come all the way to the front. The inside volume is 9' x 6 '. Its about 2.25 chord if I stack it to the top.

Better crisscross your pile ends or your stacks will blow the walls out. Nails wont hold with that kind of pressure.
Woodn't hurt to add a couple more rafters especialLEE if you get any amount of snow accumulation there.
Lookin good otherwise.

If I can make a suggestion. I know you get a bit of wind out there on LI on occasion. It looks like none of your woodpile actually sits on the structure of your shed. If you don't want it to become part of a neighbors house, you might want to anchor it to the ground somehow..

Also, as was said above. Those 2x4 "rafters" will be large shallow U's in a year or so...

Still far better than tarps.

I'm a big proponent of over-building . . . namely since I hate to build the same thing twice.

As mentioned . . . a few more 2 x 4s would be useful . . . snow shouldn't stick too long with the slippery roof, but if you do end up with some wet, heavy snow there is a possibility of the roof going concave on you or even breaking.

Also, criss cross the wood at the ends as Lee mentioned . . . the weight of the wood will almost guarantee you having to redo this as it will push/pull the spikes out from the 2 x 4s.

Otherwise, looks good . . . I think you'lll like having a covered woodpile.

4cyl2v8, when you get that all completed it will be nice.

The guys have provided some very good suggestions for the shed and wood stacking and you will have a nice little storage shed. Just one more item - the roof. The panels you have are made for 24" spacing so in addition to the 3 rafters going side to side there should be a rafter going back to front every 24 inches to correspond with the panel edges and the panels should be fastened to these rafter every 4 to 6 inches. I know the panels are light but the rafters should be 2x6 at least and probably a doubled up 2x6 going across front and rear and the center rafter going across could then be eliminated.
Don't forget to anchor that baby down it won't make a pretty kite one common way is to bury an old 25lb weight about 2' down with a length of chain thru it and wrap the other end of the chain around the lower cross member. one on each end or one on each corner depending on how windy it gets.

Looks great for a start. Adding a floor that attaches to the wall will really help keep the walls from spreading and hold it down in a strong wind.

Billy

I like the chain idea Tony. Just need to get a few bags of cement and I already have come misc. chain laying around. Its a work in progress. I picked up 15 more blocks to finish up the floor yesterday. I guess I will have to pick up a few more 10' 2x4's and i will be close to finishing it off. With the 10 footers I can put three verticals in the center and stil have enough left over to place some support in for the roof.

3 chords c/c/s. One more chord to go, and I will be done for a long time hopefully. I definitely see some kind of splitter in my future, as my back is now on fire from 5 hours of working. 75% is red oak, the rest is a mix of maple, pine, and other random pieces.

0410001634.jpg

Pretty respectable for a backyard stash. That will be a good start for next winter. Pace yourself and it will be done soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.