Making room for a fireplace insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach_Bum

Nov 28, 2010
MN
I’m looking to purchase a wood fireplace insert since they are much more efficient then the open fireplace I currently have.
My dimensions are height 23 ½, width 32”, 26 ¼ (rear), depth 21 ½”.
My problem is that the slope in the back is limiting my options for inserts.
The slope starts at 14” then comes in.
I’m not familiar with fireplace construction and was wondering if this can be removed?
There is steel behind it, the one picture shoes the gap and the metal that is behind the stone.
Does this piece provide any structural support for the fireplace?
If I cut the slope part out what would be behind it?
Ideally I would like to remove the slope and be able to put it back in someday if I wanted to.
The Lopi Declaration is the insert I like.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information that is provided.

Attachments

• PB270143.jpg
    PB270143.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 254
  • PB270144.jpg
    PB270144.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 231
  • PB270145.jpg
    PB270145.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 236
I would think you would be better off finding an insert that will work with your firebox dimensions. My fireplace was in such bad shape in my house that we had to re lay the rear of the firebox. Most of the masons that looked at it wanted nothing to do with it because of the masonry above it. I finally found a retired union mason willing to tackle it, but boy what a mess. If it would not have been a fire hazard I would have left it alone. I am helping a buddy put a Lopi Declaration in next weekend. He has a HUGE fireplace and it will fit. The dealer told him that they have trouble using that insert in most fireplaces due to the 90 degree rear corner of the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.