Making the move to a newer EPA stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
So after only a few weeks running an older stove, I may have a very good opportunity at a newer EPA stove. The model is not known yet, only that the original cost was around 4k. It is a Hearthstone make. Assuming that I can burn the 24 inch logs, of which there is around 20 cords now, and assuming it will be large enough to heat the house as well as the Defiant, and lastly, assuming I can get it for about 1200, should I??? I would like to be a responsible enviro person, but I also think the Defiant is pretty clean burning. Would the benefits of reduced wood consumption be great enough to make the switch? What say you?

The only Hearthstone I know of that cost 4k is the Equinox and it's a relatively new stove, only came out a couple years ago. So if you can get it for $1200 in good shape it's a steal.

I believe the Equinox is the only one that accepts a log as big as 24" so if its not it you may be doing some cutting. That being said my Clydesdale says 22" but it will fit a 24" in the front half at least, shorter in the back.

I believe the Equinox requires 8" flue. Just something to keep in mind. And it's a monster, 600+ lbs if I recall correctly.

An old Defiant is a big boy also, and I believe an 8" flue as well. I have friends who burn a Defiant and while it serves them well, I'm not sure I would classify it as very clean burning - maybe they just don't use the downdraft in it very well.

For that log size I think it must be an Equinox. You will need to relearn the rock, they are a bit different, (a whole lot) than what you are used to. You got one hell of a deal.

Shawn

jeff_t said:
I believe the Equinox requires 8" flue. Just something to keep in mind. And it's a monster, 600+ lbs if I recall correctly.

689 lbs. And yes, 8" flue.

mywaynow said:
So after only a few weeks running an older stove, I may have a very good opportunity at a newer EPA stove. The model is not known yet, only that the original cost was around 4k. It is a Hearthstone make. Assuming that I can burn the 24 inch logs, of which there is around 20 cords now, and assuming it will be large enough to heat the house as well as the Defiant, and lastly, assuming I can get it for about 1200, should I??? I would like to be a responsible enviro person, but I also think the Defiant is pretty clean burning. Would the benefits of reduced wood consumption be great enough to make the switch? What say you?

In regards to wood consumption:
My heritage can burn just as long on 3-4 splits ad the Vigilant can on 6 splits. So, the decreased wood consumption is significant, for me at least.

If it is the Equinox, it is a massive stove. You may not not notice a decrease in wood consumption due to the fact that it is such a large stove. But, heat production and burn times will beat a Pre-EPA defiant.

If it is the Equinox and you can get it for $1200, that is a great deal. (and, it is the only Hearthstone that accepts 24" splits, but it does require an 8" pipe/liner.)

If it is not an Equinox and it is a Mansfield, I would still jump on it. Burn should be longer, it should produce the same amount of heat, and it will be more efficient than the Defiant.

If it is not either of those two stoves I would pass on it. The Defiant is a larger version of my Vigilant and I can only imagine what a larger version of this stove would do when it sits at 600 degrees.

An Equinox also sounds to me like the one they are describing. If it is and there are no cracks/warped steel parts its a great price. It could also be a Mansfield which in the enamel finish is almost $4k. The Mansfield will heat about the same as a defiant, but no 24" logs. The EQ is a beast of a stove that has never let a customer of mine be dissapointed. Either stove is a good deal at $1200. Get us the name and maybe a photo or two of the inside/outside.

The Defiant runs fantastic, and heats my house completely. The baseboards have not had water move through them since early December when I got the stove install completed. One thing I noted in the responses was the 8 inch pipe. I can say this for certain, I will not be replacing the stove pipe I just installed. I have had the Defiant for 3 years, awaiting an opportunity to get the stove pipe cheaper than over the counter. I did find a bargain on some used pipe, which saved me about 1100 over buying all new. I may jump on the stove and sit on it for another application, but I will not fork over the dollars for new stove pipe. The idea is to save money with this stuff.

If this is an undamaged Equinox I would get it just for the investment opportunity, especially if you can store it safely until next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.