Man Door Hinges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We have some squeaky door hinges, just wondering if PB Blaster is the way I should go.

zap

zapny said:
We have some squeaky door hinges, just wondering if PB Blaster is the way I should go.

zap
PB makes a silicon spray I use for anything in the house. It doesnt have the odor that regular PB has.

Adios, I think I'll try the graphite on the stove hinges, needs some after three years of use.

luckilLEE, I'll grab some of the silicon spray from PB, we have the other for removing rusted bolts.

Thanks
Zap

If the pins come out, I like to coat them with STP oil treatment. The thick gooey stuff.
I don't think I've ever put any in an engine, but it makes a good lube for low RPM sleeve bearings and things.
Outlasts white lube by a wide margin any where I've used it.

For inside the house I'm a fan of jigaloo

0710_crup_05_z+new_motorcycle_gear+jig_a_loo.jpg

pen

had a body shop guy tell me years ago to use vaseline on anything you might bump or touch
EX. get on clothes or hands
vaseline washes off most others stain

For the door hinges on my stove I have had the best success with 90 weight gear oil. I use it to lube motorcycle chains so there is always some around. The stuff won't cook down into coal like antiseize or hi-temp grease.

I could not find graphite dry lube.

That sucks, I love the smell of PB Blaster. Kroil smells even better though.

luckilLEE said:
zapny said:

zap
PB makes a silicon spray I use for anything in the house. It doesnt have the odor that regular PB has.

Motorcycle chain lube on the door hinges. Get the kind that drys to a waxy coating, not the black oily stuff.

I used high temp anit seize about a month after i received my stove due to squeaking. That was 3 years ago. Im guessing i will never have to do it again. My pins are separate from the door, so i took out the pins and out a very thin coating on them. In fact, i almost wiped it all off, it still leaves a nice film of graphite. Its not visible, and doesn't drip.

I went with the PB Blaster Spray for Garage Doors & Hinges, the squeak is gone. High temp anti seize is next for the door on the woodstove, it's not squeaking but just want to give it a shot.

zap

I tried high temp anti-seize lube, but even that has an odor when it gets hot. Gear oil? Nasty smells. 90-weight is formulated to resist extreme pressure (think squished by gear teeth), not high temps.

I keep meaning to grab some powdered graphite, but this morning I decided to try cleaning up the hinges and pins with a wire brush and then "scribbled" on the mating surfaces with an old pencil. Perfect, and I assume no smell, and no cost. We'll see how long it lasts.

-dan

I use silicone vacuum grease from my lab.

NATE379 said:
That sucks, I love the smell of PB Blaster. Kroil smells even better though.

luckilLEE said:
zapny said:

zap

#1 on Kroil works better than PB as well I get it by the 5gal. used better but good stuff.

Whitepine2

Status
Not open for further replies.