Man vs Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxjamie540

Nov 10, 2009
southern illinois
well my cutting buddy and I recently fell an 35" standing dead ash, we felled, bucked, hand split, then loaded in about 6 hours...... had a great time. I think we could have done it in less time, but we had to limb it a bit to prevent it damaging other trees, plus we both had worked midnights the night before.

Here are some pics of the fruits of labor

Attachments

• IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4811.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 502
no brush helps,nice work...

yeah, no brush... and tree was along a hard road, so after we split we could just toss into the trailer

mxjamie540 said:
yeah, no brush... and tree was along a hard road, so after we split we could just toss into the trailer

yep the pic's show it was a sweeet score and ash to boot

ehhhh, I edited my photos and now they are out of order.... it was supposed to be a nice little "before and after" series,... OH well

Good job.

That is why I'd always much rather cut a tree that is inside the woods rather than more in the open. The ones inside the woods will have fewer branches to mess with.

I'll bet that was fun doing all that limbing before cutting the tree!

mxjamie540 said:
ehhhh, I edited my photos and now they are out of order.... it was supposed to be a nice little "before and after" series,... OH well

here in a couple days that 16 degrees out side going to look great....

Our ash trees around here don't fork like that...just say'en. As far as the bark coming off like that ...is that from the EAB? gotta agree though ash is my favorite cutting tree.

well according to the State of Illinois IDNR website, there are no cases of EAB in my county of residence. They are all quite a bit North of me. There was tunneling trails under the bark, but no larvae was ever found.... so I dont really know what insect caused the damage.

mxjamie540 said:
well according to the State of Illinois IDNR website, there are no cases of EAB in my county of residence. They are all quite a bit North of me. There was tunneling trails under the bark, but no larvae was ever found.... so I dont really know what insect caused the damage.

Every piece of Ash I have has those trails. Every piece of Ash I have has been killed by the EAB. Check for small, D-shaped holes along the upper trunk of the tree. If you see them, you probably want to notify the IDNR.

10-4 shortie, it has all been split and stacked now, so finding said marks may be tough, but I will look

If you have EAB, the D holes won't be hard to find even in the woodpile.

This should give you a good idea of the EAB damage.

Ashborerdamage-1.gif

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1262300628"]This should give you a good idea of the EAB damage.

The top two look almost identical to pine bark beetle damage. The vast majority of pine I've scrounged or even bought (cheap) for firewood has beetle damage.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.