manifold locations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
I have my very nice set of custom manifolds made by Lee Brooks at Earth Lee. 1-1/4" body and inlet, two 1" outlets, and 5 3/4" outlets. 1-1/4" PEX will run into one, then the branches will run out of the outlets, and then back into an identical manifold which returns the loop back to the 1-1/4" PEX. Is there any reason I can't install the headers hanging from my basement ceiling with the outlets pointing either horizontally or down? Each branch will have shut off ball valves on both the supply and return manifold.

Not a problem. Will the branches have individual pumps? Or one pump running all zones? If it is a one pump system you might install flowsetters on the branch to adjust the flow rates to each branch. These could double as shutoff valves.

Webstone ball/ purge valves are a nice addition also to individually isolate and purge each branch.

If you are pumping on each branch be sure to use pumps with check valves, and a check on the return side is a good idea. Manifolds with piping above them can thermosiphon, if not check protected.

hr

One pump running all zones. The water heater side arm exchanger will always be running, and the water flowing through the water/air hx will be on/off with an electronic ball valve, the garage heat via a secondary closed loop system and a water/water flatplate exchanger will only be on when I flip the switch for it's own pump to circulate. The rest of the outlets are spares for future upgrades.

I haven't seen the webstone ball/purge valves. I do like the idea of them. I was going to just use ball valves, and still might unless the price between the two are similar. My unfinished basement floor can get wet for all I care if I have to bleed a zone. The house is 135 years old, the basement leaks to say the least. There's a sump pump for a reason.

Will I need check valves on my branches since I'm using only one circulator, running 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies.