Manitoba Pine MBTU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvand

Mar 8, 2010
Manitoba
Hello wood experts,

There's a local wood seller around here that sells Pine Firewood and has an add that has the following text:

"Consider your savings when burning firewood. As a rule of thumb, a half cord of dry, hard firewood yields about the same usable heat as 100 gallons of heating oil, a half-ton of hard coal, or about 2000 kilowatts of electricity."

The guy sells Pine for $225/cord or $160 for a 1/2 cord.

We have electricity here for $.063 per KWH so if I have a 70% efficient (EPA) fireplace i figure at about 17MMBTU per cord it's about a breakeven. SO, I sent a note to the seller saying so.

His reply was that he "firmly" believes OUR pine is more like 20.2MMBTU per cord.

So my question is: Is it even remotely possible local pine has higher MMBTU?

Ok, I know that there is an exchange rate...but pine for $225 cord canadian dollars is a bit high I might say...so folks up in the great north will surely chime in. ((currently, right around $220 US dollars)
Most tree companies down here just chip it and dispose of it, as the btu's are not worth the effort.

If its free, go for it....maybe $100/cord is reasonable....but not $225/cord

dvd said:
Hello wood experts,

There's a local wood seller around here that sells Pine Firewood and has an add that has the following text:

"Consider your savings when burning firewood. As a rule of thumb, a half cord of dry, hard firewood yields about the same usable heat as 100 gallons of heating oil, a half-ton of hard coal, or about 2000 kilowatts of electricity."

We have electricity here for $.063 per KWH so if I have a 70% efficient (EPA) fireplace i figure at about 17MMBTU per cord it's about a breakeven. SO, I sent a note to the seller saying so.

His reply was that he "firmly" believes OUR pine is more like 20.2MMBTU per cord.

Must be superpine :)

Ray

Davesbehemothwoodcart said:
Ok, I know that there is an exchange rate...but pine for $225 cord canadian dollars is a bit high I might say...so folks up in the great north will surely chime in. ((currently, right around $220 US dollars)
Most tree companies down here just chip it and dispose of it, as the btu's are not worth the effort.

If its free, go for it....maybe $100/cord is reasonable....but not $225/cord

Gotta agree on this one. Pine is bascally junk wood. My guess is he's selling jack pine. I doubt he'll be selling much at that price. I wouldn't even pay $100/cord for that stuff.

dvd said:
Hello wood experts,

I like your logic but had to do the math myself, here's what I came up with.

1 kWh = 3412.14163 BTU
6.82 million BTU = 2000 kWh = $126 (@ $.063 per kWh rate)
If a cord of pine is 15 Million BTU adj. 70%=10.5 million BTU = 3223 kWh = $193 (@ $.063 per kWh Rate)
So if my math is correct a cord of pine (@15 MBTU per cord) would have to cost less than $193 for break even rate.
If my math is correct ;-P

As a side note, the pine out West here is a little higher in BTUs and it only cost about $100 a cord, so I guess those who buy it out here are better than breaking even, providing their stoves are 70% efficient.

Are you sure your electricity is only $0.063 per kW/H. Have you figured in the other charges they have such as the transmission loss, tax, transmission fee, etc.? My rate in Ontario is also about $0.06 per kW/H but when I figure in all the other fees it is more like $0.10 per kW/H.

Manitoba has pretty cheap hydro so yes $.063 per KWH excluding PST and GST, so I guess $.070 taxes in. That's actually a good point. I should make sure to include taxes in the comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.