manometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I'm thinking of installing a dwyer mark 2 manometer. I set it up on my oil boiler to adjust the draft. Thinking I'll give it a try on the Tarm Solo40. I'm worried about the smoke puffing through any openings on startup.
Has anyone (Taxidermist) been successful when using a manometer?

Yes I have that one on my Econoburn. Connected hose to a piece of copper tubing, Drilled a hole in the flue and stuck pipe in it.

It is interesting to watch the draft change with high winds I get here. My barometric damper keeps it right where Econoburn wants it.

gg

Ive got two Magnehelic Gauges from Dwyer on my system, I'll post a couple pics when I get them. I use a 0-.5 In H20 Col. on the flue draft.
I noticed too that the draft moves wildly when there are high winds.

The second one is on my airbox where the primary and secondary air is forced into the EKO 40 boiler.

I'm just starting out wiht experiments on the airbox side.

The flue draft on mine tends to be between .01 and .1 inches of water column. Mostly... while running, it seems to be around .04 to .08. It's of course in these higher ranges when the flue is actually warm while burning a fire.
I have plenty of draft for the fire, but the puffing smoke is still annoying when fueling the unit. Don't know how I'm going to deal with that yet.

When I first lite my boiler, after the fire is started, I turn on the blower and many times I will get violent back-puffing and smokes shoots out any black stove pipe joints.
If I were to connect a barometric damper, will I have more problems?

chuck172 said:
I'm thinking of installing a dwyer mark 2 manometer. I set it up on my oil boiler to adjust the draft. Thinking I'll give it a try on the Tarm Solo40. I'm worried about the smoke puffing through any openings on startup.
Has anyone (Taxidermist) been successful when using a manometer?

I dont get any smoke out of mine. I have a hole in my pipe I set the meter then i put a little metal tape over it.

Rob

Don't you use the manometer to set a Barometric Damper Taxidermist?

chuck172 said:
Don't you use the manometer to set a Barometric Damper Taxidermist?

Yes, I used it to set it the first time then I covered the hole with metal tape. I check it from time to time thru the same hole then cover it back up.

Rob

I think your misunderstanding me. I know you test through a small hole then cover the hole. The hole doesn't worry me. I'm concerned about having a barometric damper in my exhaust flue. I'm not using a damper right now.
The way my boiler puffs, I'm afraid the smoke will just blow through the damper. It's just a swinging gate.

A baro damper is designed to open on vacuum, and conversely would close on positive pressure. I don't think you'd get smoke out your damper. I have one in my smoke stream and the smoke goes right by it, even on real smokey starts.

chuck172 said:
I think your misunderstanding me. I know you test through a small hole then cover the hole. The hole doesn't worry me. I'm concerned about having a barometric damper in my exhaust flue. I'm not using a damper right now.
The way my boiler puffs, I'm afraid the smoke will just blow through the damper. It's just a swinging gate.

OH You said you wanted to install a manometer. I think you meant to say" install a barometric damper" LOL

I have no smoke thru my baro even when it puffs back.

Rob

I'm taking a manometer reading for the first time this morning. I haven't installed a damper yet. The reading is .03-.04 steady. Outside temp is about 40*, not windy.
If the readings can hold steady like this, I won't need a damper.
I bet this instrument can be useful for letting me know when I need to clean the boiler too!

chuck172 said:
I'm taking a manometer reading for the first time this morning. I haven't installed a damper yet. The reading is .03-.04 steady. Outside temp is about 40*, not windy.
If the readings can hold steady like this, I won't need a damper.
I bet this instrument can be useful for letting me know when I need to clean the boiler too!

Is the .03-.04" measured with a fire running or cold flu? If you're measuring cold, you may want to get some hot measurements too before making a decision on the damper. I installed one of those Dweyer manometers. Well spent $30. I was surprised by how much the draft changes with flu temp and outside temp. My draft typically runs about .02" with a cold boiler at40degF. But with a good hot fire, it runs .07"-.10". On a windy winter day, I can watch the the draft surge from .07" to .12-.15" in a matter of seconds with a good gust of wind.

.03, .04 with the boiler running for about 4 hrs. now. Very steady readings. Temp outside 38*, with a breeze.
I thought I'd get readings that would fluctuate more.

chuck172 said:
.03, .04 with the boiler running for about 4 hrs. now. Very steady readings. Temp outside 38*, with a breeze.
I thought I'd get readings that would fluctuate more.

OH you will when it is cold and windy!!!. 38 and a slight breeze is nothing.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.