Manufactured logs for start-off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I was visiting a friend earlier, and he was showing me a batch of "Eco Logs" that he got on sale at the local feed & yard store, and that he said are helpful at getting fires started in his VT Castings stove considering that his firewood is not as dry as it should be.

That got me thinking- since my remaining wood is not as dry as it should be; I find, as people here have repeatedly said, that my gasifier is fairly tolerant of wood once a fire is started, but really does not start well with damp wood.

Has anyone tried using a single "Eco Log" (or the similar biobricks) in the bottom of the chamber, right over the nozzle, at start off, and did it seem to work for start-up?

Thanks

Trevor

I haven't tried those, but I had really good luck with some charcoal I had left over when I purchased a gas grill.

I haven't yet installed my new tarm, but am a long-time wood burner. I had a wood gun for years. I plan on utilizing fake logs to start my fires, but would not put them on the bottom. put down some medium sized kindling, then the fake log. This will create coals quickly.

penfrydd

I have used the pressed log to get things started and they worked well, the wife is generally pissed because she use them for that fuzzy feeling in her wood stove to see the pretty flames. The best way short of gas (that uncontrolled explosion can suck) is a 500,000 btu propane torch, that fires any wood no matter how wet. My boiler is not inside so that might not be a favorable option inside

Status
Not open for further replies.