Masonry Connection Adapter Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earsy

Dec 9, 2010
MetroWest MA
Hello,

Thanks to all the information contributed by great people on the hearth.com site I made my decision and purchased a "Summers Heat 1500 Sq. Ft. Pellet Burning Stove" (Englander) from Lowes today to install in my basement. I will be hooking it up to an extra clay flue in my chimney that has never been used and is in excellent shape.

Englander recommends using Simpson Dura-Vent pipe but it doesn't look like Simpson offers a 3" masonry connection adapter (thimble) for a 6"' round connection.

The only one that I could find is made by Industrial Chimney Company (ICC) and is called the Excel excel Masonry Adapter (PAM) http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=73&l=e&d=2& . It looks like they are only sold through dealers that aren't conveniently located.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I guess worse case is that I'll make the drive to pick up the ICC adapter. I understand that I would then have to use ICC for the other pipe components as it isn't good to mix and match.

Thanks!

Paul

You can buy a 6 inch "cap" and cut a 3 1/4" inch hole in the center then insert your pipe into it and use high temp caulk to seal the edges.

The Duravent Pellet Vent Pro Masonry Adapter is designed to provide the transition from the 3"or 4" rigid pipe from the stove to the flue and into a flex liner. The trim collar is 8.5 inches so that will cover the 6" opening. You would just need to seal it to the wall/opening. I suppose you don't need to install the flexible liner on the discharge end if you do not want to. I have no idea as to why you do not think this will work?? Anything i am missing?

http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/pelletventpro10.pdf

Edit: They do have the chimney adapter as mentioned above but those are designed to attach to a ceiling support box of the same brand presumably where a stove used to exit. Of course you can adapt this to your needs, like to a short run of pipe through the wall and into the flue.

if your not running a liner to the top core drill the correct size hole and insert pipe about 3" beyond the hole motar in and your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.