Massive Bur Oak!! Local CL free score looks quite good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/2498096877.html

Damn. Barely a mile south of me,looks like perfect material to feed my 288XP & the Alaskan mill.Looks like I could get four or five 3 x 12 planks minimum,10-12 ft long,plus a few other assorted pieces.Too bad its gonna be near 100 the next few days & I'm already busy for next week. :mad: The odds of it still being there should be OK,the average homeowner wont have a saw big enough or want to work in this oppressive heat.

lol Yea I was looking at a 55 incher thinking couple 100 hrs milling NOT this time lol

It looks like a somebody with a big box store saw took a lick at the main part of the tree and had enough. I guess that is where the rest of it went? I think your odds are OK too and if not, there will be others.

looks nice and straight. easy access. doesnt get much easier than that. I'd jump on it.

Hey Thistle, don't let that little bit of heat bother you! Just get out there and cut it and we'll be thinking of you. Not sure that will help to cool you or not but it will give you a good reason to do some heavy drinking and sweating. Just remember that when you sweat you rid your body of some bad things so it is good. Are you convinced yet?

HAHA. The heat I can deal with,just start work earlier,work less hours in the day & take more breaks.

I sweat out 4 pounds in barely 5 hrs last Monday,it is good for you long as you work slower & be careful.I had heat stroke once about 20 yrs back,wasnt any fun.Just am too busy the next few days to grab that Bur Oak unfortunately.Since its so close to me I'll stop by later in the week & see if any of it is left.Might get a few chunks for large bowl blanks at least.

Finally got the time to check out the ad.Wood still there,address was about a mile & 1/2 south of me.

Its actually Red Oak, I was wanting White or Bur like the ad said though.MASSIVE beast - tape measure & some tools are always in truck whenever I leave my property. Main trunk just over 13 ft,was cut off just below the crotch - 41 inches diameter there,33 inches at butt end.Very clear & straight with few defects (for a yardbird anyway lol).Several odd shaped large chunks from 24" to 32" diameter still there also.Dont look like any of it was taken since the ad was first posted.

I'm thinking the whole shebang will be there for another month or 2,what with the summer heat & it being way too big for the average homeowner or wood scrounger to mess with.If a guy had a big flatbed trailer with 5 ton winch,would be perfect to drag that suckah right up on there & drive off.

Thistle said:
Finally got the time to check out the ad.Wood still there,address was about a mile & 1/2 south of me.

Its actually Red Oak, I was wanting White or Bur like the ad said though.MASSIVE beast - tape measure & some tools are always in truck whenever I leave my property. Main trunk just over 13 ft,was cut off just below the crotch - 41 inches diameter there,33 inches at butt end.Very clear & straight with few defects (for a yardbird anyway lol).Several odd shaped large chunks from 24" to 32" diameter still there also.Dont look like any of it was taken since the ad was first posted.

I'm thinking the whole shebang will be there for another month or 2,what with the summer heat & it being way too big for the average homeowner or wood scrounger to mess with.If a guy had a big flatbed trailer with 5 ton winch,would be perfect to drag that suckah right up on there & drive off.

Yard birds make the most interesting furniture! jmo... ;-) But with on the red oak!

41" red oak, out in the open, I'd make firewood outa the thing if it was here. No offense to you millers' & woodworkers, I'm just lookin to stay warm all winter. A C

41†red oak, out in the open, I’d make firewood outa the thing

+1 - that red oak splits like a dream with a maul (except the burr part of course).

:lol:
blowell said:
41†red oak, out in the open, I’d make firewood outa the thing

+1 - that red oak splits like a dream with a maul (except the burr part of course).

Had a chuck last week 55inch red oak the splitter could not split it....(Over 20 craks at it)

smokinjay said:
Had a chuck last week 55inch red oak the splitter could not split it....(Over 20 craks at it)

Few suggestions: swing harder, aim better and fewer beers while splitting :lol:

Good advice Solar!

Red oak....Yes! Good stuff for throwing into the stove but slow to give up its moisture.

Had a chuck last week 55inch red oak the splitter could not split it….(Over 20 craks at it)

WOW!!!

I had two large red oaks taken down last year, along with 4 hickory trees. The remaining stump from the largest oak is 44 inches diameter (pic attached). The tree was huge. The first twelve (or so) feet of the tree from the stump was taken away. The crane operator told me that the section weighed, if i remember correctly, about 4 tons. The left everything in 12ft logs approximately. I bucked everything to 16inches from there.

I split everything by hand - no splitter yet, but I need one. Comparing the straight hickory to the straight oak, the oak, for me, has been so much easier to split. I pretty much a newbie, so I don't have alot of experience splitting other types of wood.

Attachments

• IMAG0084 COMP.jpg
    IMAG0084 COMP.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 290
blowell said:
Had a chuck last week 55inch red oak the splitter could not split it….(Over 20 craks at it)

WOW!!!

I had two large red oaks taken down last year, along with 4 hickory trees. The remaining stump from the largest oak is 44 inches diameter (pic attached). The tree was huge. The first twelve (or so) feet of the tree from the stump was taken away. The crane operator told me that the section weighed, if i remember correctly, about 4 tons. The left everything in 12ft logs approximately. I bucked everything to 16inches from there.

I split everything by hand - no splitter yet, but I need one. Comparing the straight hickory to the straight oak, the oak, for me, has been so much easier to split. I pretty much a newbie, so I don't have alot of experience splitting other types of wood.
;-)

Attachments

• oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 260
Smokinjay - that is one BIG section of a tree. I had that first section taken away because I simply had no confidence in my ability to attack it.

Jay should have been a logger so he could play with those type logs daily.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Words to live by....

Backwoods Savage said:

Yep,Yep....At 12 year's old I twisted my first bar on a bad fell. (My dad made me pay for it) Never forgot that! It was a cherry tree going to the mill for his cabinet shop. He was at work and the saw wasn't supposed to be out, I was ready to get a head start.
Worse thing was the tractor could not pull it up the hill....Later I burn that log. ;-)

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yep,Yep....At 12 year's old I twisted my first bar on a bad fell. (My dad made me pay for it) Never forgot that! It was a cherry tree going to the mill for his cabinet shop. He was at work and the saw wasn't supposed to be out, I was ready to get a head start.
Worse thing was the tractor could not pull it up the hill....Later I burn that log. ;-)

At 14 was taking Small Engine Repair class in Junior High.After 1 semester thought I knew everything & proceeded to dismantle the old push mower with 3 HP Briggs & Stratton.Even though it was running perfectly & Dad absolutely forbade me NOT to touch it.Well...you guessed it,I took it apart & couldnt put the damn thing back together. :lol: He was furious (dont blame him now lol) and took it to local repair shop where they fixed my f-up.Cost me around $40 if memory serves.Big money for someone with part-time paper route haha.We had a few laughs about that a month or so back. ;-)

Thistle said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Words to live by....

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not very good at any of the above especially the last one.

SolarAndWood said:
Thistle said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Words to live by....

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not very good at any of the above especially the last one.

I would bet 100 on this one and give you 2 hours. Better bring your Dr. ;-)

smokinjay said:

lol, I'll just mail you a check. I don't swing at anything that isn't straight grained and under 16" in diameter.

smokinjay said:
Dr. Pepper? :cheese:

Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
Dr. Pepper? :cheese:

Couple case's and a pup tent and a baby swiming pool still dont have a chance. ;-)

The curve on that cut was because of the limb and where is was extra curly. First piece of wood I every threw back! Didnt even want to try and noodle that one. I will grab a pic next time I am there!

Attachments

• oak 3.jpg
    oak 3.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.