maul sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put an edge on with a flat file...not a sharp one either.

Unless it is a splitting axe it should be dull. I have read where some guys intentionally hit rocks to dull a new maul. My Monster Maul is just a wedge of steel in the shape of a triangle, there is not edge at all and it splits great. I believe this aids in not getting stuck. A sharp edge can get the maul stuck.

I keep an 8# Ludell moderately sharp, but with a steep (say 90 degree) angle on the first 1/4" of the cutting edge to make it pop the wood apart in the early contact with the end grain. I also like to keep a nice slick coat of silicone on it.

My wife's side of the family is redneck country and a little rough around the edges. That said, her Dad Fred, who is now 94, is house bound, and is full of stories about times past. He tells of Uncle Gene who had a large ash to cut down but didn't have a ax. So a trip was made to Whitestone Springs to buy one from the hardware there. The time is mid 1938. Uncle Gene comes home with the ax but decides that it's dull and needs to be sharpened before use. You know you just can't buy good high quality tools any more. Uncle Gene spent considerable time and effort polishing and sharpening the new ax. When it was just right, off to woods they went to attack the ash tree. The first swing sunk the ax up to the hilt. He had to really pull on it and in so doing broke the handle off even with the head. Fred went to laughing and Gene went to cussing. I have heard the story many times and have no doubt it's true. Fred says the head is still out there lost in that old ash tree. David

Status
Not open for further replies.