Max wood load for a Dodge Caravan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willworkforwood

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2009
Central Ma
I'm going to start scrounging in order to supplement the wood from my property, and will be using a 2003 Dodge Caravan. This van has 7 seats and I originally figured that it should be built to handle 7 very large occupants (250 ea) - around 1750 lbs. But after checking online, I found multiple sources saying that most vehicles aren't built well enough to handle the maximum number of large riders. That didn't make a lot of sense, but not being an automotive engineer, what do I know? Then I found the bit about GVWR and curb weight. For the Caravan, that would be 5600-4238 = 1362 lbs. So one of the 7 football players has to wait for the next van, and we still may have problems at the weigh station with 6. No problem - I'll get the weight of the rear seats (which will be removed) and add that to the 1362 to get the actual max limit for a load of wood, and will be ok with that. But if this is the real deal, why aren't car manufacturers required to put red stickers on the seats cautioning everyone before loading to weigh themselves and their bags (i.e. luggage - wives would get weighed using secret numbers).

Those numbers are just a "suggestion".. Least that's what I said when I had 3.5 tons of gravel in the bed of my 1 ton truck. haha. Used to haul 1-1.25 cords at a time in that truck too.

Max load rating are just a lawyer's opinion. That's my opinion anyway.

My F-150's door sticker says I shouldn't haul more than 1,600 lbs. I've had at least 2,500 on there several times. Yes I know it is illegal, and I know I'd be screwed if I got in an accident, but for a short trip down some backroads I'm not worried. The truck handled it fine...just take it easy.

I also have a Caravan. It is gutless...I'd be worried with that much weight on there....I'd be more worried about getting it stopped than anything.

I have sold wood to customers that hauled it away in Dodge Caravans many times. 1/6th of a cord of seasoned oak is about the limit (1/2 face cord). While they will actually hold more than that, possibly twice as much if stacked in carefully, I strongly discourage my customers from it. Even with only 1/6th of a cord the rear suspension is squatting pretty seriously and the car-type tires are starting to look overloaded. More than that is just plain scary, with bottomed out springs and squashed tires.....

I never paid much attention to weight. I've hauled wood in a van before and all I did was watch the springs and tires. They will tell you when enough is enough. I think quads has it right.

quads said:
I have sold wood to customers that hauled it away in Dodge Caravans many times. 1/6th of a cord of seasoned oak is about the limit (1/2 face cord). While they will actually hold more than that, possibly twice as much if stacked in carefully, I strongly discourage my customers from it. Even with only 1/6th of a cord the rear suspension is squatting pretty seriously and the car-type tires are starting to look overloaded. More than that is just plain scary, with bottomed out springs and squashed tires.....
I always appreciate getting real-life feedback like this. And, You Da Man, Quads when it comes to wood - but here's what I get when I run those numbers. 1 cord of 20% red oak is approximately 3350 lbs (www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weigt-wood-d_821.html). 1/6 of that is 558, which is way less than the 1362 "book" max, and also way less than a car full of normal size people. Am I missing something here?

Just remember that a broken spring is considerably more expensive to replace than many gallons of heating oil.....so don't shoot yourself in the foot....and take it very easy when loading up.

I'd look into the trailer idea....same thing applies there though as well.

GVWR is a suggestion... Made for warranties and such..

People overload all the time. Just use your head.

Mini Vans are looked at differently by engineers and marketing people.

I think a trailer is the best choice too.

willworkforwood said:
quads said:
I always appreciate getting real-life feedback like this. And, You Da Man, Quads when it comes to wood - but here's what I get when I run those numbers. 1 cord of 20% red oak is approximately 3350 lbs (www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weigt-wood-d_821.html). 1/6 of that is 558, which is way less than the 1362 "book" max, and also way less than a car full of normal size people. Am I missing something here?

I think what quads correctly describes depends a lot on where the wood is loaded. If it is loaded behind the rear seat the weight sits behind the back axle...and the leverage actually increases the load on that axle (more than what the wood weighs). If the wood were placed in the center of the van it wouldn't squat as hard and the tires would carry the load more evenly.

I always try to load as much as I can towards the front of the bed of my truck...sure it is harder...but the truck handles much better.

Remember, you have to include your weight in the GVW calculations too, so 558 lbs is only part of the weight your van is carrying.

mecreature said:

Couldn't agree more...GVWR is a substitution for common sense.

Intheswamp said:
lukem said:
mecreature said:

Hmm, a suggestion? You might want to ask a DOT officer about that.

Ed

I'm sure he/she would disagree and write me up!!! And any wrecks they've seen because of overloads also were caused by an astonishing lack of common sense.

lukem said:
willworkforwood said:
quads said:

I think what quads correctly describes depends a lot on where the wood is loaded. If it is loaded behind the rear seat the weight sits behind the back axle...and the leverage actually increases the load on that axle (more than what the wood weighs). If the wood were placed in the center of the van it wouldn't squat as hard and the tires would carry the load more evenly.

I always try to load as much as I can towards the front of the bed of my truck...sure it is harder...but the truck handles much better.

Remember, you have to include your weight in the GVW calculations too, so 558 lbs is only part of the weight your van is carrying.
That's right. I don't know how much the oak weighs, but when you load it in a minivan you are not getting the weight evenly distributed between the front and rear axles. Most, if not all, of the weight of the wood is over or behind the rear wheels. That's a lot of weight in a vehicle that is more car than truck. Think of it as loading that much firewood in the trunk of a sedan. Not much difference....

Intheswamp said:
lukem said:
mecreature said:
GVWR is a suggestion... Made for warranties and such...
Hmm, a suggestion? You might want to ask a DOT officer about that.

He'll tell you your GVWR is what you paid for on your registration and the sticker on the van is for warranties.

A couple states make you follow the tire mfg's weight rating or the axle mfg's weight rating. None make you follow the vehicle mfg's weight rating. Its all based on what you pay to register. I think my Tacoma is registered for 8800lbs. I'm not worried about exceeding that. LoL

quads said:
lukem said:
willworkforwood said:
quads said:

That's right. I don't know how much the oak weighs, but when you load it in a minivan you are not getting the weight evenly distributed between the front and rear axles. Most, if not all, of the weight of the wood is over or behind the rear wheels. That's a lot of weight in a vehicle that is more car than truck. Think of it as loading that much firewood in the trunk of a sedan. Not much difference....
I wasn't understanding that your loading is concentrated into one section of the van. As I wrote in my OP, I'll be removing all rear seats, in order to get a good, even distribution of weight throughout the entire vehicle (including some on the front passenger floor). I'll be lining the floor with thin plywood, and will also use 2x4 stops to keep the stuff (mainly rounds) from moving. And for the folks suggesting a trailer - thanks, but it's just not in the budget. Based on the other posts, 1360 + seat weight is what I'm going to use. I know the van already had at least that much of a load more than once, and I don't expect it will cause a problem. Thanks for the feedback!

Depends on how far you are driving, how fast you will be driving, hills or no hills, etc. A few miles of flat roads at 35 mph? Load her down. 20 miles of highway plus steep mtn passes? Maybe not...

willworkforwood said:
I wasn't understanding that your loading is concentrated into one section of the van. As I wrote in my OP, I'll be removing all rear seats, in order to get a good, even distribution of weight throughout the entire vehicle (including some on the front passenger floor). I'll be lining the floor with thin plywood, and will also use 2x4 stops to keep the stuff (mainly rounds) from moving. And for the folks suggesting a trailer - thanks, but it's just not in the budget. Based on the other posts, 1360 + seat weight is what I'm going to use. I know the van already had at least that much of a load more than once, and I don't expect it will cause a problem. Thanks for the feedback!
By all means, give it a shot! Just be careful. Sometimes two trips with lighter loads can save more time (and headaches) than one big load.

M :lol: y Geo Metro mini-mini van. The Jeep Cherokee and trailer are sitting not insured at the moment.It was a 10 minute haul on back roads.Sometimes you have to use what you have and not miss out on getting the wood :)

Attachments

• 003 (Medium).jpg
    003 (Medium).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,215
Ubookz said:
M :lol: y Geo Metro mini-mini van.

Now that is a well balanced load. Is that Oak?

quads said:
willworkforwood said:
By all means, give it a shot! Just be careful. Sometimes two trips with lighter loads can save more time (and headaches) than one big load.
Ditto on the being careful part. Give it a test run after you get some loaded....just "around the block" will give you a sense of how it will handle, corner, curve, stop, etc.,. If it feels good, then go back and add some more wood to it...take it for a test drive again. Rinse, repeat. Just be sure to stop loading wood *before* it starts feeling squirrely. I would think you could haul 1/4+ cord inside of it if spread out evenly. Check your tire's air pressure, engine fluid levels, etc.,.

Best wishes,
Ed

I believe GVWR is the max load that the vehicle is designed to carry SAFELY. This means that you should be able to drive it at 65mph for several hours, up hill and down, without putting dangerous stress on the suspension, tires, and (especially) the brakes. If your properly maintained vehicle breaks while hauling within the GVWR, you should have a legitimate warranty claim (if you are still in warranty).

The fact that you can haul a lot more weight, for short distances, at low speed, out of warranty parameters, is another kettle of fish.

I will just say I have a lot of experience with overloaded vehicles and I think you will be fine with what you are trying to do. While loading it stop every once in a while and check the suspension. When the suspension bumpers get with in 1/2 an inch of the frame you need to stop unless you have a very short trip.

A minivan only has "P" rated tires. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that GVRW is not a suggestion - it is a legal issue. You might as well drive with no insurance if you are exceeding the legal/registered weight of the vehicle. That is what I always tell people anyways. It could be one bloody expensive load of "free" wood if the stars align just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.