Maxx-M or P68 Help me decide...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running a Big E, but I'm looking to upgrade to something w/ a little more output. Home is 2000+ square foot, all stone and the insulation isn't that great.

So far I've got it narrowed down to the Enviro Maxx-M and the Harman P68. I've got prices on both and they are very similar.

Right now I'm leaning toard the Harman b/c the 3" flue will match with the Big E I'm running... which means I won't have to do anymore drilling for the install. Also the deal is closer to my home, and seems like a genuinely nice person. Still, I don't like the small, 76 lb hopper on the P68... plus I had an (enviro) dealer mention to me that they will no longer carry Harman stoves b/c the bottom feed presents a hazard for burnback into the hopper. I never heard this before, but if it is a real risk--not just the dealer trying to sell me on their stove--I do want to take that into consideration.

As far as the Maxx-M goes... I like pretty much everything about it, except that it has a 4 inch flue and it is going to be a PITA to drill through the 10" thick stone wall for install. Also the dealer is located almost an hour away. Another concerned I have is about how potentially loud the Maxx might be, as I know they have a prety beefy convection blower... and the stove is going to be located in the living room of our house.

Any Harman or Enviro owners here want shed some light on my decision...? Thank you guys in advance! And thanks as well for the knowledge that I've already gained here through the search function.

I give a slight edge to the Maxx M only because it will burn any pellet(even the really really bad ones with ease) and about any other fuel out there! Both stoves are good work horse's. Go with what is easier to install.

On the bottom feed burn back, I'd say thats rather rare and could happen to either stove. Most burn backs are caused by user neglect! Keep it clean and tidy.

I'd agree with Jay go with the easier install which seems to be the P68, and you're comfortable with the dealer he's closer to your home and Harman can burn lower quality pellets as well. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

You can get a hopper extention for the P68 to bring the total hopper capacity to 130 pounds.

Thanks guys for your input... I think you are confirming what I have been thinking--that the Harman is probably the better/easier choice. It definitely is a plus also that the dealer is someone I feel comfortable with.

As far as the burnback goes, I appreciate your commenting on that J... makes me feel better about it. I have learned through running my Big E the past few years that cleaning is VERY important and I will no doubt continue proper maintainence with this stove so that should hopefully be non issue.

The size of the hopper really is my main gripe with the P68, do any of you guys who run harmans want to comment on the amount of pellets you burn through in 24 hours time, especially when it's really cold. I know w/ my Big E I could burn up to 3 bags in 24 hours... I may need to look into that extended hopper. Anyone here have one? IF so how do you like it?

Thanks again for all your help!

I dont think there is a bad choice here. These were the same 2 stoves I came down to. At the time, I got a better price on the Harman. I have zero issues with this stove and the heat output is great.

As far as usage, I rarely use more than 2 bags a day except during the coldest times. Average is about a bag and a half to 2 while heating from the basement (the no no placement zone). Right now, I am burning an hour in the am and maybe 2 hours at night resulting in a bag lasting several days. Obviously, better placement would mean less fuel burned, but I have a warm basement for the first time in 18 years here.

The 78lb hopper makes no sense with 40lb bags, but it has never been a real issue. The hopper extension would be nice for times I might be gone for a night or 2.

Good luck and post some pics of your new purchase when installed !!!! :)

Thanks all you guys for your input... Looks like it is going to be the Harman. I'm psyched about it. I'll definitely post some pics once installed.

Harman burnbacks.. hah! I've been doing this stuff for 10 yrs, now: we have sold literally THOUSANDS of harmans and have never seen a Harman burn back. Thats a line dealers throw out there who are:
uneducated
sell competing brands
didn't pay their HHT bill and are now losing Harman as a stove line.

I'd say the last point is whats going on with the dealer, if he's "dropping" harman as a line. We sell 5 different lines of pellet burners here, and 95% are Harmans. People come in, they don't wanna look at anything else... and even in hard economic times pay the extra $ (sometimes 500 +) for the harman model over the others. If the dealer had a firm handle on the line, he sure as hell wouldn't give it up: someone else will open up down the street and destroy his sales by selleing Harmans.

summit said:
Harman burnbacks.. hah! I've been doing this stuff for 10 yrs, now: we have sold literally THOUSANDS of harmans and have never seen a Harman burn back. Thats a line dealers throw out there who are:
uneducated
sell competing brands
didn't pay their HHT bill and are now losing Harman as a stove line.

I'd say the last point is whats going on with the dealer, if he's "dropping" harman as a line. We sell 5 different lines of pellet burners here, and 95% are Harmans. People come in, they don't wanna look at anything else... and even in hard economic times pay the extra $ (sometimes 500 +) for the harman model over the others. If the dealer had a firm handle on the line, he sure as hell wouldn't give it up: someone else will open up down the street and destroy his sales by selleing Harmans.

x2!

Status
Not open for further replies.