May 15th and I'm still burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schmeg

Feb 5, 2008
Central Maine
47 degrees outside, cold and wet. When will it end? At least no tornado's and flooded rivers in Maine.

It's 54º and foggy in CT - my stove will run tonight for a bit. I get to enjoy watching a fire for another night - that's the good news!

The bad news is that I'm nursing my last two bags of pellets. When they're gone, that's it. Stove then gets a spring cleaning, and a long summer's nap.

44 here last night. Wish I wouldnt have spent over 12 hrs cleaning my stove this past week/weekend.... Woke up COLD....... Brrrrrrrrr..Supposed to be chilly all day here in Ohio. Regreting cleaning now. But I had a few days off and did a stand up job.

Same here....47 degrees and rain in the forecast for the entire week. Who would've thunk shoulder season would never end.....

Yup, after almost a week off, ran it for a few hours last night to take the chill out.... "take the chill out" on May 15th :-S

My stove came on in the night sometime, 1st time its been on in a week. It was 49 degrees this morning and looks to be a wet chilly week. Sure glad I didn't do the spring cleaning on it!! I have 6 bags left, so should be enough to keep the chill off.

Lows the next few nights in mid 40's, been burning some to knock off the chill. Been delaying cleaning until we have consistent warm weather. Ten bags of pellets left out of 41/2 tons. Looking forward to warmer weather.

You folks need a hobby to keep you warm.

How about turning your vegetable garden beds by adding a lot of compost using a time honored technique called digging in the dirt.

After all it is dirt digging season, burning season ended the end of April.

I guess you've gotten spoiled by all of the pellet heat this past winter.

Same story here in Western Oregon

Cool yesterday morning, the Quad had come on during the night sometime and was starting again at 6am when I got up, so I let it do a short cycle and then started the Prodigy.

Ran the little stove all day as the rain came down. About 4 in afternoon the sun came out and the inside temp high 75 so I shut the stove off.

We had dinner with friends and went to their house for The Suvivor Finale, got home at around 11 Pm, built a fire to run the night.

Still on this morning and its nasty and cool outide. No rain yet but looks like it could.

We will likely not be through with the stoves here until the first week of June.

Have not had a fire in the Big Whit for maybe three weeks now and its all cleaned and ready to go for whenever its needed again.

This week is looking "Off and On" for us. Maybe some nice weather during the mid week but rain next weekend again.

Snowy

SmokeyTheBear said:

How about turning your vegetable garden beds by adding a lot of compost using a time honored technique called digging in the dirt.

Now c'mon Smokey,

Are you really going to tell us that you are not burning at all? I have a place on Sebago and I was running the heat this past weekend. It's not like you are in the Gulf Stream over there in Standish.

Been thinking about turning the dirt, but its still MUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY and the tiller got stuck.

Haaaaaaaaa Still stove season.

Snowy

Hello

Yup, It is 54 degrees outside here. However in our split entry it is 68 degrees upstairs and only 65 degrees downstairs where I am working on the computer. So since I am cold, I just turned the pellet stove on down here. That will also help empty the hopper so I can do the yearly cleaning sometime soon.

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 434
Burning days are done for the stoves. Had a Fire in the Fireplace last night. May do the same tonight. Here is a pic of the Quad after many hrs of cleaning, painting, and polishing. Don2222...... I used that polish I had on the outside. Turned out pretty good. Took a lot of elbow grease.

Attachments

• %231%20Pellet%20Stove.jpg
    %231%20Pellet%20Stove.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 421
chilly, wet, rainy here next few days.
Stove sure does help with wet cold toes this time of year.

Harman Lover 007 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Now c'mon Smokey,

Are you really going to tell us that you are not burning at all? I have a place on Sebago and I was running the heat this past weekend. It's not like you are in the Gulf Stream over there in Standish.

Not burning and haven't since the end of April.

It helps when you have insulation. Even have had the screen door to the deck and a few windows open on some days. Mowed the lawn the last two Fridays.

As long as the boss lady doesn't get chilled I prefer things in the 60's in the house. The only reason I started burning early last fall was because we went up to our son's camp in Litchfield on October 9 and she wanted the heat on here when we got back.

I live closer to North Windham than what is known as the village of Standish.

We are normally really busy this time of year getting the gardens and yard taken care of so it is absolutely no trouble to stay plenty warm. I have four vegetable beds and several deep beds for root crops to dig in the stuff I spread on the old beds last fall, in fact two of the deep beds and one of the garden beds are new this spring.

I removed one set of compost bins and built a new set of bins the new ones will also be planted this spring (they are already cooking). It is very good use of pellet pallets. I'll be building another set of bins to dump stuff in.

We also added a new flower bed which I filled this last week (house had zero landscaping when we bought it). Been a might busy around here.

Like I said in another thread things around here come by the cubic yard or in heavy bags. Which reminds me I've got to get more pine shavings (deep litter system for the chickens and future compost to grow giant mutant squash in).

Late summer early fall is a major canning season for us. I've been known to have several canning projects in the works at a single time.

42 degrees in Sullivan Ohio. Fireplace going again tonight. Just a standard Manf unit. I have Sealed it up much better than "Stock". Got rid of the Open/Close damper. . Put an adjustable damper on it, and added larger CFM fans for the convection heat. I can get a decent burn time with the doors shut and the fans in high. About an hour longer than before my Mods to seal it up and slow down the Draft.
Wrong Forum, I know. Belongs in the Hearth Room. But I wanna Fire a stove up so bad. That, and many of us have never seen "All" our burning devices. Be it Wood/Gas/Pellet...... Here is another Form of my Winter Ritual.....

Attachments

• Big%20Fire.jpg
    Big%20Fire.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 348
  • %231%20Big%20Fire.jpg
    %231%20Big%20Fire.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 330
Yeah, this winter isn't leaving without a fight. Had a bit over a week of 70° weather and then it snowed (about an inch). Snow was gone the next day, another week of 70° weather passed, and then more snow (this time about 4 inches). Likewise, this was gone the next day, but it's been freezing outside at night for the last few days since, so I'm burning for the first time in about a month as I type this.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Now c'mon Smokey,

Not burning and haven't since the end of April.

It helps when you have insulation. Even have had the screen door to the deck and a few windows open on some days. Mowed the lawn the last two Fridays.

As long as the boss lady doesn't get chilled I prefer things in the 60's in the house. The only reason I started burning early last fall was because we went up to our son's camp in Litchfield on October 9 and she wanted the heat on here when we got back.

I live closer to North Windham than what is known as the village of Standish.

We are normally really busy this time of year getting the gardens and yard taken care of so it is absolutely no trouble to stay plenty warm. I have four vegetable beds and several deep beds for root crops to dig in the stuff I spread on the old beds last fall, in fact two of the deep beds and one of the garden beds are new this spring.

I removed one set of compost bins and built a new set of bins the new ones will also be planted this spring (they are already cooking). It is very good use of pellet pallets. I'll be building another set of bins to dump stuff in.

We also added a new flower bed which I filled this last week (house had zero landscaping when we bought it). Been a might busy around here.

Like I said in another thread things around here come by the cubic yard or in heavy bags. Which reminds me I've got to get more pine shavings (deep litter system for the chickens and future compost to grow giant mutant squash in).

Late summer early fall is a major canning season for us. I've been known to have several canning projects in the works at a single time.

Where do you get your pellets, SMRF or SIB or one of the local hardware stores?

May 17th 44 degrees in SW Virginia burning again this morning. Would gladly stop if temperatures would return to last weeks level (70's & 80's). CLOUSY, DAMP & COOOOOOOOOOL. :coolsmile:

Snowy Rivers said:
Been thinking about turning the dirt, but its still MUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY and the tiller got stuck.

Haaaaaaaaa Still stove season.

Snowy

I do ours by the really old method, I use a shovel. We have a lot of cold weather crops in the ground and already up. The boss has started some warm weather crops inside, they'll get transplanted sometime early next month.

Hopefully we will get more than 5 pears and an apple this year. Last year the trees had a lot of blossoms and along came a frost and bye bye went close to all of the blossoms. Not to be deterred, we added three new fruit trees last year. If the bees and such get a chance we should have some fruit for this winter.

Harman Lover 007 said:
Where do you get your pellets, SMRF or SIB or one of the local hardware stores?

I've purchased pellets from both SMRF and SIB. I've also purchased from Woodpellets.com and Steep Falls Building Supply.

They were all decent to do business with. Woodpellets.com doesn't always have delivery to this area. At least one of the local normal "fuel" dealers is also delivering to this area, they charge through the nose though, Alternative Heat Source INC in Naples also delivers, a number of the small box hardware stores carry pellets and may deliver, the Feed store (Blue Seal) in South Windham carries pellets and delivers.

There's plenty of pellets in the area and even during the supposed shortage in 2008 there were.

We had a frost the other day, but it was light and did not seem to bother the blossoms.
Mostly little patches on the ground in the sheltered spots.

Had a fire last night again and its still running. Will likely shut down for the day and then see what we need when we get home.

Crazy weather for sure.

Buts as I have seen so many times in the past, we will burn off and on until the first week of June.

Usually by that time, its a spot fire to take the chill off in the eavening and then off all day.

Then comes AC season.

Costs me far more to cool the house in the summer , from Late June to September than it does to heat the place from October to June.

Snowy

There was one place in the mountains out west that had winter storm warnings posted for 2 foot plus of snow starting yesterday evening.

Oh well maybe it will eventually warm up a bit, at least so it drys out enough that I can mow the lawn before it becomes a hay field.

Status
Not open for further replies.