Maybe this will help someone else out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
Today I got home from work with only hot coals as normal. I throw in 2 small splits to get it going. Normal too. Usually, within 3 or 4 minutes, we have ignition. Today.......not yet, I wait a little longer, still nothing. Crack the side door, presto....Ignition. Close the door, within minutes......no visual flame. Open the door.....presto! Ignition. The air was all the way open, it is 26 degrees outside, I never have a draft problem, and today I can't get this fire going.

Started to check things out and found that I had a coal stuck in the air inlet in the dog house. I know this has to sound odd, but I knocked that out and had no problem with the fire starting. I don't know how the heck a chunk of coal could get stuck in there. I would have thought that it would have burned up from the air blowing on it.

At any rate, maybe this will help someone from taking an hour and a half to get their fire to take off. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.