me again the 361 are gone localy what about the 362

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Dec 30, 2009
kansas
I am still not sure what i need not afaid to spend the cash just want to do it wisley. The locall dealers are out of the 361 and now stocking the 362. From what i have seen and the 390 would cut the mustard in most of my situations. This is what i was given as prices form local dealer is this fair or should i ask for more

All prices include the 18 inch bar one chain and no extra's
290=359.78(2.5% off list) 390=457.28(2.5% off list) 362=626.05 (5%off list) or i could drive and hour and pick up a new 361 for 599.00 18inc or 20inch 609.99

Call the guy an hour away and ask him to make it worth your while and you'll bring cash. The local dealers should give you a better deal than that; the further dealer might want to sell off the 361.

S

Over on AS, a dealer has both 361's and 362's and lets his buyers try them both and they are all choosing the 362. Though it is a bit heavier, it is smoother.

wendell said:
Over on AS, a dealer has both 361's and 362's and lets his buyers try them both and they are all choosing the 362. Though it is a bit heavier, it is smoother.

Any chance you can provide a link to the seller please?

Wendell, I'm not sure about 'all' of them! I've been watching that site, too, and the one guy who has let some people try both has had only two buyers go for the 362--they just post like the dickens, so it seems like there's more.

People are 50/50 on the 361/362: the 2 is more fuel efficient and has .2 HP more, but weighs a pound more (Stihl specs it out at .7 pounds, but someone weighed them both and it's a pound) and isn't as balanced, at least when I tried them both with 18" bars.

In any case, the 362 is usually $60 more but I'm not sure you get any value. In fact, the power to weight ratio, one of the best points of the 361, is reduced. I played with them both and bought the 1.

S

wendell said:

Hey Wendell, I just spent almost an hour looking for this person you mentioned above, I can't find him even using the search option. I just bought a 361 but my son wants a 362. Any more specific information you can provide would be appreciated. PM me if needed. Thank you! Robert

thinkxingu said:
Who, didn't you see my post? He doesn't exist. Actually, look here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=121803. There aren't many others raving.

S

You are correct Think, I slammed the refresh button, looked for what I needed, and then back to cooking dinner before I burned it. Thank you for slapping me around and bringing me up to speed, I appreciate it.

Now, I just need to find a new or VERY gently used 362 somewhere as my sons birthday is in 11 days and I kind of made a promise to him for a new saw. I'm sure you father/son situations out there can feel my dire straights.

I did a quick search on flea-bay for the 362, got nothing. With that also being said, I will not be paying the $660+ my local guy wants. The search is on.

Thank you again Think!

Robert

Edited to ad, if I can't get a 362 in minus 11 days, I'll gladly take a NEW 361 if the price is right. My son best not do no bitching either if it comes to that...damn he's picky....must of got it from his old man!

In case Jay don't make it over here . . . 660, or 460 ported. ;-P

I could see these smaller saws if you are climbing, but for bucking, yer wastin yer precious time with those baby saws.

(Here where all the grey beards chime in about how fast their 290/361 is and how it's as fast as more expensive saws. Just means they wish they had the money for a real saw :lol: )

390,361,362 your going to be happy with any of them. What size wood and how many cords a year you need?

Who,
Given that the 362 is new, you're probably not going to find one on eBay--at least, not with a decent price. Have you asked for a deal at your local dealer? I'm not sure when the 'slow time' is, but there seem to be some good deals going on.
The other option is to seek out the 361--I know Stihl still has many of them (according to a post on another site) and your local dealer may be more willing to do a deal. Didn't you say there's one an hour away?

ISeeDeadBTUs,
I hear ya on the big saw, except for the fact that he'd be carrying 20% more weight and, if he's not felling or bucking 30"+ trees, it would be much less nimble for an all-around saw.

I don't care what anybody says--weight matters to me!

S

cowboy, We can assume that whatever saw you purchase will be kept for ten or fifteen years, right? If you have to pay an extra $75 for that saw today and it is exactly what you want, and it is the latest and greatest technology from that manufacturer, just buy it! The extra money spent today, when amortized over 15 years is about $6.00 per year. Less than the cost of a six pack.

Almost as important as the saw is the dealer where purchased. Do not purchse anything from any dealer you do not like or trust. My local dealership is the main reason I did not purchase a Dolmar.

More than once I have kicked myself in the butt one or two years after purchasing something, for not purchasing the better product originally. Within reason, buy what you want. Good luck. John_M

I'll help you out by narrowing the choices....... either get in your car and drive an hour for the 361 or grab the 362. Both are great.

thinkxingu said:
I hear ya on the big saw, except for the fact that he'd be carrying 20% more weight and, if he's not felling or bucking 30"+ trees, it would be much less nimble for an all-around saw.

S

I guess I never realized you guys cut so much wood in a day! I somehow doubt most of the people whinin' about saw weight are cutting more than 1/2 cord on any given day. And if that '20%' is wearin out yer body (despite the fact yer not holdin the saw as much since it's cuttin faster) then I doubt you should be cutting anything over 6" anyway :lol: In which case an electric chainsaw might be just the ticket.

Or. . .wait!! Weight matters to you? See, I guess I'm just different that way. Petite chicks generally don't do much for me ;-)

I'm changing my tune a bit after listening to smokinj and John M. If, and this is a big if, You intend to cut 6 or more cords per year of normal sized 6-30" trees into firewood for the next ten years then I think you should buy the bigger pro version and ditch the 290/310/390 line. The bigger saws such as the 361 or even 6400 will be lighter, more HP, better antivibe, usually better ergonomics (skinnier), and in theory could be more durable.

You want your saw time to be happy time and not be any more work than it must be. The cost per hour of use is very small so long as you are going to be a serious user.

Heard of several owners being happy with the new 362's. It is a different saw from 361 though. Heavier, more power, better on fuel & emissions, less proven...
I really think you should give some info on what size wood you expect to be cutting.
Folks, we're leading the OP into some expensive territory here, but unless I missed it he hasn't said what diameter wood he'll be cutting. All I've seen is that he'll be cutting mostly Hedge. I've never cut it, but I thought Hedge stays fairly small right?

It depends on what he means by hedgeline. Maybe just the fenceline which can contain many huge trees in one long row.

I have a 390 and very happy with it. It sounds like the 362 is almost the same weight. I am not sure why you say the 390 would not cut it, it is $160 less than the 362, you could almost buy another smaller saw for the little stuff at the price. The 390 has alot of horsepower and can easily handle a 20,24,28 inch bar. If you are going 18 it is not even a concern. If you want to spend the extra bucks go ahead, but you might want to give it a try. I have heard on this site where some guys have tried both and are happy with both. It has many of the Pro features. Just my opinion.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
thinkxingu said:

S

I guess I never realized you guys cut so much wood in a day! I somehow doubt most of the people whinin' about saw weight are cutting more than 1/2 cord on any given day. And if that '20%' is wearin out yer body (despite the fact yer not holdin the saw as much since it's cuttin faster) then I doubt you should be cutting anything over 6" anyway :lol: In which case an electric chainsaw might be just the ticket.

Or. . .wait!! Weight matters to you? See, I guess I'm just different that way. Petite chicks generally don't do much for me ;-)

we can knock out 3 cords cut split and hauled to a pile in 6 hrs.

HittinSteel said:
I'll help you out by narrowing the choices....... either get in your car and drive an hour for the 361 or grab the 362. Both are great.

+1 some say the 362 is smoother than the 361 if thats the case thats awesome!

Highbeam said:
I'm changing my tune a bit after listening to smokinj and John M. If, and this is a big if, You intend to cut 6 or more cords per year of normal sized 6-30" trees into firewood for the next ten years then I think you should buy the bigger pro version and ditch the 290/310/390 line. The bigger saws such as the 361 or even 6400 will be lighter, more HP, better antivibe, usually better ergonomics (skinnier), and in theory could be more durable.

You want your saw time to be happy time and not be any more work than it must be. The cost per hour of use is very small so long as you are going to be a serious user.

I would consider the 390 for sure...The reasons I wouldnt go with the 290/310 are just because he is running a furance. They can be very diffcult to keep up with. 390 can run bigger bars for the larger trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.