Me Thinks The Well Piping Has Sprung A Leak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
I was walking Murphy this AM, and heard water running. Walked over to the outside faucet area, and under my feet, I have water pumping out of the ground (wish it was Texas Crude !!).

Great. Glad I ran the washer, DW, and took a shower >:-(

Turned off the pump ( threw the lever down)and will call the well guys in the AM.

My guess is that it's at the top of the pipe coming out of the ground that does a turn to come into the basement, as the water is jetting straight up. Piping is atleast 20 years old

Fun night. Abandoned by everyone but the dogs & cats
action-smiley-034.gif

Sorry to hear that Eileen. I dread when the well takes a crap here. It's in a pretty tight place under the kitchen sink.
We've been wanting new countertops for a while, so........... :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
Sorry to hear that Eileen. I dread when the well takes a crap here. It's in a pretty tight place under the kitchen sink.
We've been wanting new countertops for a while, so........... :coolsmile:

Sucks. The Dixettes Dad did the plumbing the last time the well went.

He strikes from the grave, yet again.

What kinda countertops ??? :)

I'll probably just build them myself, and we haven't even come close to deciding on a color or pattern. It'll probably be a couple of years though, since they're in good shape (just don't like 'em).
They're real plain Jane tan, post formed cheapo's that were here when we moved in. Bev wants something with a bit more character. The cabinets are actually pretty nice, so those will probably stay.
The well point is under the kitchen sink and the pump/tank is on the other side of the wall in a little closet for that and the hot water tank.
I'll have to check in the crawl space to see where the pipe is. Hmm
I hate going down there.

Temporary success !!

After the well guy told Erin $800 for the job, then told her how to do it (guess he didn't want to work, today :roll:) , we have water. The flex line from the top of the well that connects to the pipe going into the basement was cracked. Found it by digging it up. 4 foot down ( guess who got that job, moi !!!).

Plumbing supply was closed, so after a no go at the local hardware store, I drove to HD (in the truck ;-) ), where the nice plumbing guy took pity on my dirt stained, faced smeared with mud self, and rigged me up a temporary fix. Installed by Erin, my self, and the neighbor next door.

Tomorrow, off to plumbing supply for the for the real piece. Hole is still open, but covered with plywood and truck bed vinyl stuff.

Whhoooo hooo, water in da house
action-smiley-034.gif

I had that happen about 10yr ago! It was a blessing in disguise because I had no clue where the well casing was until that day when
I had a gushing hole coming thru the blacktop 20ft from house & 3ft from edge of blacktop.
The galvanized elbow had rusted through and I learned galvanized pipe is not good for drinking water.
All is well now days, but I still won't drink the sulfur water.

Digging that hole was a witch, definitely something not in my usual repertoire :p

Erinwell.jpg

Congrats. Better than the twelve hundred bucks for the well yo-yos two years ago when my submersible pump went TU. Didn't pull it myself because I didn't know about well stuff. They couldn't get it out of the casing so I ended up hauling out equipment and pulling it myself and still got stuck with that bill for them replacing a three hundred dollar pump.

We live and learn.

Glad ya got water back Dix.

Water is good. Water actually is great, I'm a Pisces :p

When it flows from the faucets in the house, and the TB's flush, that's icing on the cake.Showers, and the HW back on, priceless.

Doesn't take much to make me happy :)

Well ( a very deep subject), after 3 stops @ plumbing supplies, well driller, etc, my "special piece" does not exist. Seems it's a piece of radiator hose, probably heated up with a hair dryer to get the larger end (the well connection is 1 1/4" and the basement connector is 1" pipe) to expand, and clamped on.

From the freaking grave!! I swear, the Dixettes Dad strikes yet again
4-thatsbad.gif

We're going with the fix for now. Will leave hole open, and adapt the the reinforced tubing (instead of the radiator hose >:-( ) with extra clamps ( bought more clamps & hose).Plan on covering it up before the cold temps come in
gaah.gif

Sorry to hear about your troubles but kudos to you for taking on the job! Maybe now that the hole is dug and the plumbing exposed you can get someone in at a reasonable price. Good luck.

jatoxico said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles but kudos to you for taking on the job! Maybe now that the hole is dug and the plumbing exposed you can get someone in at a reasonable price. Good luck.

Joe, my reasonable price was $10, plus sweat equity, as opposed to the $800 quote from Cassola >:-(

Hell yeah, I'm diggin' a hole !!

A good auto parts store could fix you up with a radiator hose if you give them the length, and the ID of each end. Radiator hoses are typically designed for around 15 PSI (plus a safety margin), not the 25-50 PSI in a well system. Maybe that's why the hose let go? New hose should be under $20, I guess.

Some cars have different sizes on each end of the radiator hose. My freakin' Jeep has a special hose that set me back $130!!! It's a rare type of Jeep, and the hose has to come from a dealer.

I doubt that radiator hoses are rated for potable water - do yourself a favor and use standard plumbing parts to adapt.

The newer hoses have a lot of crazy chemicals in them to get them to last longer

Status
Not open for further replies.