measuring chimney for lining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csmith

Jul 3, 2006
The best I can come up with is putting a weight on a string and dropping it down the chimney, having someone steady it where the stove hookup would be and then marking/cutting the string and measuring it. Is there a better way?

thanks

The string method works. I've used fiberglass brush rods as well. How about a rigid tape measure?

Yes that works. But I would still cut it longer. First I would cut slits at one end bent them in and duct tape a cone shape. That's your leading edge down once in place. I make a clean cut removing the cone section witha thin metal cutting wheel in a 4" grinder Remember you can pull back and forth to make your final cut up top. You want to advoid the situation I cut it too short. Always better to have it longer and make the final cut when all variables are solved

Definitely do the final cut in place, either at the top or the bottom.

If you're measuring for ordering, string or tape work great. I usually add about a foot (on a 2-story) to make sure there's enough - better to be too long than too short.

Steve

Yeah I walked the semi-circle around the fireplace for two days looking at the stove, then looking at that two feet of liner hanging down thinking "cut it off too short and there goes three hundred in the toliet".

Finally one morning with the coffee brewing and in my bathrobe I just walked in there and cut the damn thing.

Perfect fit.

No spilled coffee on the keyboard? no change in underware, like the Nike commercial just do it?

Read fast it will be d.gone tomorrow

elkimmeg said:
No spilled coffee on the keyboard? no change in underware, like the Nike commercial just do it?

Read fast it will be d.gone tomorrow

Heck Elk. Don't get parinoid. The insulation post just got moved. Not killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.