Measuring HX delta

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wvwoodchuck

Jun 14, 2009
WV
I was just wondering how you all measure the temperature delta at the HX vs. the temp at the boiler?
I have an OWB and would like to measure the temp at the HX to see how much I'm losing. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Several ways to do this. I have a plate HX. What do you have? My first approach, and it worked well, was to use milk frothing thermometers I got off the *bay, cable tying the probes to the inlet and outlet pipes, and wrapping with insulation. Easy then to read the Side A and Side B in and out temps. Now I have DS18b20 sensors doing the same thing and logging the temps along with other data. If you know or can calculate your flow rates on each side the HX, you then can also determine the btu's in/out and the heat transfer efficiency of the HX.

I have a Extec 42510A Infrared gun that I use. http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=62&prodid=381 It works well and I like the fact that even if the temperature may not be exact, using the same instrument (with the same sampling methods) I feel the temperature differences I am measuring are accurate. I have found it necessary to use black hockey stick tape on the reflective pipe areas to get true readings. I have been sampling and logging temperature since I fired the Garn up.

Eventually I would like to install sensors as Jim does so I can walk by and glance but for now the "gun" is handy and I can take temperatures while I work on more important parts of my installation. The "gun" also works well at finding heat loss areas on the outside of the building and knowing the temperature of my English Setter. :)

Thanks guys. I've thought about the IR gun before. I can use it for other applications too. I'll check out the sensors too, it would be nice to walk by and look.

This Azel dual temperature is a great option. Powered by a small battery or with a 24V source. It reads both temperature and shows delta T. it also captures the high and low temperatures.

Use a hose clamp to attach the sensors, then insulate around them.

This shows the delta t on my solar drainback tank coil.

Shop online prices vary on this gauge.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 27.png
    Picture 27.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 226
jebatty said:
Several ways to do this. I have a plate HX. What do you have? My first approach, and it worked well, was to use milk frothing thermometers I got off the *bay, cable tying the probes to the inlet and outlet pipes, and wrapping with insulation. Easy then to read the Side A and Side B in and out temps. Now I have DS18b20 sensors doing the same thing and logging the temps along with other data. If you know or can calculate your flow rates on each side the HX, you then can also determine the btu's in/out and the heat transfer efficiency of the HX.

Where did you get the sensors? I really like this idea.

Where did you get the sensors? I really like this idea.

Look Here to start with. Then do a search on this forum on "data logging" and you will find a wealth of information. Give particular attention to the Dallas 1wire posts. Ask again if you want more info.

Thanks Jim. It never crossed my mind to "search" for answers. :)

in hot water said:
This Azel dual temperature is a great option. Powered by a small battery or with a 24V source. It reads both temperature and shows delta T. it also captures the high and low temperatures.

Use a hose clamp to attach the sensors, then insulate around them.

This shows the delta t on my solar drainback tank coil.

Shop online prices vary on this gauge.

hr

That looks like a pretty cool gauge. I looked around a little and think I may order one of those. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.