Measuring stack temp and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eekster

Oct 24, 2007
southeast michigan
I have read alot of you guys measuring stack temps. and draft. My question.. I have insulated pipe all the way to my boiler,
I don"t think I should drill a hole to do my readings. Any suggestions? I am real curious on the temps and draft.
Thanks, Keith

eekster said:
I have read alot of you guys measuring stack temps. and draft. My question.. I have insulated pipe all the way to my boiler,
I don"t think I should drill a hole to do my readings. Any suggestions? I am real curious on the temps and draft.
Thanks, Keith

Carefully drill a hole, no bigger than you actually need for the probe of the draft gauge (the thermometer should be smaller), and get a bolt that you can twist into the hole to seal it when you aren't taking a measurement.

Joe

Joe, thanks for the suggestion, I presume you have done this before? Where is the best height to measure? I have a tee out of the back of the boiler and about 3 1/ 2 feet of pipe to the ceiling, 4 1/2 foot in the attic and and 9 ft. out the roof.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.