Measuring the MC of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1869_Caboose

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Besides buying a moisture gague, is there some way to measure the moisture content of firewood? I put my humidity gague by the wood stack (which is in my basement) and of course it is higher there than when placed in the middle of the room but I have a feeling this isn't a very accurate way to measure MC. Any ideas?

Why not a moisture meter? I bought mine off of ebay for about $8 including shipping. Works great.

You can also hit two splits together and listen to the sound. If it is a dull thud, it's wet. If it is a sharp crack (think wooden baseball bat), it is good to burn. I've read this a few times here. Since this was my first year, I bought the meter but I can now start to tell the sounds apart. :)

WARNING :::

Smacking wood together does not always work, you should really pick up a moisture meter of there is any question. Your goal should be, if you have the storage space, to get 2 years ahead in your wood supply. If you can get 2 years ahead with seasoned wood stored outside, single rows, then you have nothing to really worry about.

Shawn

A moisture meter is an ohm meter. If you have an ohm meter that measures several megaohms, then you can drive two screws at a specified depth and distance and measure the resistance. Someone posted a link to a USDA paper in this forum last year on the topic.

But with moisture meters so cheap you might as well get one.

I bought one from Harbor Freight on Sunday for $12.

Not sure if I am using it correctly.

My 2 1/2 year old split pine is 4.

My year old split pine is 8

I also have a bulk delivery which has yet to be bucked and split, a neighbour has split some and that read 12.

I am in a semi arid high mountain plateau, lots of wind and sun.

Does that sound right?

Como said:

I also have a bulk delivery which has yet to be bucked and split, a neighbour has split some and that read 12.

Does that sound right?

Where are you measuring? You should split a piece and measure on the fresh side of the new splits.

Alternatively, the fresh side will feel cool to the touch if not dry.

I was doing it on the split side with the grain but not re split. I do not have a splitter but I know someone who has.

Como said:

Does that sound right?

That is some super dry wood. Doesn't sound right to me. Is that reading in percent? Are you sure you have it on the right setting?

1869_Caboose said:
Besides buying a moisture gague, is there some way to measure the moisture content of firewood? I put my humidity gague by the wood stack (which is in my basement) and of course it is higher there than when placed in the middle of the room but I have a feeling this isn't a very accurate way to measure MC. Any ideas?

Reading the humidity of the room is never going to give you the moisture content of the inside or a piece of firewood.
Buy yourself a Moisture Gauge. Even the cheapest ones will give you a pretty good idea of what you've got. Certainly close enough.

It has a wood and hard material mode, I had it on the wood mode, I will split some and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.