Mega scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman1

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Got this a few weeks ago, glad I was close to home cause I think
I may have over loaded the trailer just a bit.
White & Red Oak and some maple.
Bout three loads total. last two were not as heavy as this.

Attachments

• Trailor Wood (Resized).jpg
    Trailor Wood (Resized).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 616
  • Wood Pile 3 (Resized).jpg
    Wood Pile 3 (Resized).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 610
Sweet score and that trailer awesome as well!!!

smokinj said:

Thanks bro, prolly should not have made the sides so high, makes we wanna keep puttin more on :grrr:
Also had a huge maple come in a few days ago gonna try to get some pics of that too.

Birdman1 said:
Got this a few weeks ago, glad I was close to home cause I think
I may have over loaded the trailer just a bit.
White & Red Oak and some maple.
Bout three loads total. last two were not as heavy as this.

Oak, eh?

Well, get that split into matchstick size pieces, get it stacked loosely in a well vented wind tunnel, and by 2014 or so it should be ready to burn.

Birdman1 said:
smokinj said:

Thanks bro, prolly should not have made the sides so high, makes we wanna keep puttin more on :grrr:
Also had a huge maple come in a few days ago gonna try to get some pics of that too.

tandem i'd say its great when in lighter woods just heap it! perfect trailer

Birdman1 said:
smokinj said:

Whit oak weighs in at 2 ton per cord (seasoned??) and red at 1 3/4 ton. I have a single axle rated at 1 1/2 ton per side with 1 1/4 ton springs. when the srpings look like they are yawning/stretching I know I have enough on the trailer. (The tires are rated higher than the axles). Trailer dimensions 5' x 8' x 2.5'. Your tandem should handle quite a lot. However I do know your concern as I bent a lighter axle set up pulling out of the woods one time.

Wow! I'd say you got a pretty good jag on there. Your trailer looks to be about 12 ft like mine. I also went with 3 ft sides. (3/4 plywood) I have a Mustang landscaper rated @ 7000 gross. Tare is about 2000. The sides are high enough for mulch and such but let me pretty much look over the trailer out of all mirrors and doesn't stick up above the tailgate for excessive wind resistance on the highway.

Steve

Great score, now get to splitting! :)

rdust said:
Great score, now get to splitting! :)

been laid up since tues.

rolled my ankle pushin a wheelbarrow full of splits to the stack

sounded like I stepped on a bag of corn flakes, maybe tomorrow

YZF1R said:
Wow! I'd say you got a pretty good jag on there. Your trailer looks to be about 12 ft like mine. I also went with 3 ft sides. (3/4 plywood) I have a Mustang landscaper rated @ 7500 gross. Tare is about 2000. The sides are high enough for mulch and such but let me pretty much look over the trailer out of all mirrors and doesn't stick up above the tailgate for excessive wind resistance on the highway.

Steve

I gotta check my gvwr sticker, the back axle tires were were leaning in at the top.

Yeah, if I'm about grossed out my wheels will do that one way or the other if I'm turning tight. It could just be because your not level off road, but it would look like you may be able to even the load out between the axles a little more by using a ball about 2" lower. I realize there are pivoting equalizer bars between them but it still may help to lower the ball and level it out. As a guy who used to be an OO trucker, it gives me the heebeegeebees to see my axles/wheels twisting and bending like that. I guess it's OK if within it's GVW. Just not used to seeing that. I frankly don't even trust those China made tires that come with them either. However, I read on an RV forum somewhere that none of those trailer tires are made in the US.

Steve

BTW, someone on here posted a link to a site where you punch in measurements and it figures out the cords. If I stack the rounds in my trailer, I have roughly a cord in it if I stack 2ft up or fill my trailer with 3ft sides about 2/3rds full. (However you want to look at it.) I then depending on wood type and how fresh or wet it is, have an idea on the weight in it. I think this looks like the site. http://www.state.me.us/ag/firewood.html

Steve

On Edit: Noticed my first post I had my GVW @ 7500. I corrected it. It is a GVW of 7000lb.

Very good Birdman1. Now I hope that ankle heals fast!

Backwoods Savage said:
Very good Birdman1. Now I hope that ankle heals fast!

Thanks for the good wishes Sav, but I think I done her good this time.
Might be a cpl 3 days more.
Least I got some time now for the forum.

Nice haul ,looks like a nice start on next years wood. I have a similar trailer with a little lower sides about 2' and it works great. After destroying 2 single axle trailers the tandem is much nicer plus it backs up better than the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.